Phantom Power Conversion at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 20th, 2006, 05:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Phantom Power Conversion

Hello everyone,

I am looking to enhance my audio quality with my XL1s, and it's time to upgrade from the standard microphone. So, (in order to keep the budget down), I've decided to go with the Rode NTG-1 or NTG-2. If I could, I would prefer to use the phantom power of the NTG-1. This means I need a phantom power converter to attach to the XL1s. The only thing I've found is a Rolls PB23, which appears to do exactly what I need it to do....I think...... However, I am a little confused as to how the microphone will get its power from the converter and plug into the MA-100 on the XL1s. I knwo the converter has an "input" XLR, and an "output" XLR, but how would I connect the whole system to get it to work properly?

If anyone has any other suggestions, please feel free to suggest. Thank you very much for oyur assistance,
Clint Grant
Clint Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2006, 08:38 PM   #2
Fred Retread

You need an XLR cable with a male female plug at one end and male at the other. This will connect the mic to the power supply. Then you another of the same kind of cable to go from the power supply to your camcorder. How long the cables should be is up to you. If you are going to plug into a 1/8" mic jack on the camcorder you'll also need this adapter:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

A much better solution if you can afford $260 is to forget the power supply and get a BeachTek DXA-6 XLR adapter (beacktek.com). Besides providing phantom power, it offers additional controls and options and the ability to use two mics at once. You may not think that you need this versatility now, but if you're interested in better audio you'll soon grow into it.
Old June 21st, 2006, 06:34 AM   #3
Trustee

I agree with Fred, the DXA-6 works well with the XL-1 and is a very versatile solution that avoids all sorts of problems inherent in the MA-100.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2006, 02:26 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thank you very much for the tips, both of you. I figured the MA-100 would be a little restricting, so I'll definately look into the beachtek.
Clint Grant is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio