sound card recomendation for windows pc at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 10th, 2006, 07:58 PM   #1
Regular Crew

sound card recomendation for windows pc

I have a dual core system with 2 gigs of ram. the built in sound card that has come with the system has major driver issue and i'm tired of messing around with it.
I wanted to get you guy's recomendation for a quality sound card that i can rely on if need to do voice over as well.
this model is on sale
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum Sound Card

http://www.buy.com/prod/Creative_Sou...tml?adid=17662

but i think its a bit too much I really dont understand what are the bells and wistle for. but sure looks cool :)
however if recomended i will go for it.
Dan Farzad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2006, 10:51 PM   #2
Fred Retread

Do you want to spend $400 on a gaming card? I don't even see balanced inputs mentioned for that product.

I gather that what you really want is a card for recording and mixing audio. Check these out instead. Notice in particular the M-Audio Delta 1010LT "top seller" model. I've seen it spoken highly of by some of the pros in this forum.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...sc&fi=all&pn=1
Old July 11th, 2006, 03:38 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Farzad
I have a dual core system with 2 gigs of ram. the built in sound card that has come with the system has major driver issue and i'm tired of messing around with it.
I wanted to get you guy's recomendation for a quality sound card that i can rely on if need to do voice over as well.
this model is on sale
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum Sound Card

http://www.buy.com/prod/Creative_Sou...tml?adid=17662

but i think its a bit too much I really dont understand what are the bells and wistle for. but sure looks cool :)
however if recomended i will go for it.
I have an Echo AudioFire 8 that I like very much. Firewire interface, 2 mic/instrument inputs with mic preamps and phantom power, 6 analog line inputs, 8 line outputs, 2 channels SPDIF/AES digital i/o, MIDI interface, word clock i/o and headphones out.

The Audigy is a nice enough card for gaming and watching DVDs - I had one in my PC before upgrading to the Echo, still there in fact - but it doesn't have quite the performance or some of the features such as balanced professional +4dBu analog i/o and phantom power that are good to have for a studio interface. On the other hand, it's virtually certain to be better than the builtin sound card you have now.
Old July 11th, 2006, 07:57 AM   #4

The Audigy is also well-known to be a resource hog, and the drivers aren't exactly happy to work with professional equipment.
Google around the web, you'll find lots of problems with Audigy cards in prosumer and low-end professional environs.
Look at Echo, M-Audio, even Creative's own Emu series for better cards.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2006, 12:47 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
The Audigy is also well-known to be a resource hog, and the drivers aren't exactly happy to work with professional equipment.
Google around the web, you'll find lots of problems with Audigy cards in prosumer and low-end professional environs.
this m aduio 1010lt is amazing but i was not looking to spend this much money.
in fact i have a mackie 1202 mixer laying around from before that used for live band.
using that and a decent sound card should give me a good sound for voice overs right?
in the range of $50- 100 would u guys recommend anything?
Old July 11th, 2006, 12:50 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
this m aduio 1010lt is amazing but i was not looking to spend this much money.
in fact i have a mackie 1202 mixer laying around from before that used for live band.
using that and a decent sound card should give me a good sound for voice overs right?
in the range of $50- 100 would u guys recommend anything?
Old July 11th, 2006, 01:45 PM   #7
Major Player

for about 150 bucks, you can get the m-audio delta 44, with breakout box. i've used both m-audio and echo cards (currently have a delta 66 installed) -- they're excellent.
Henry Cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2006, 01:49 PM   #8
Major Player

Echo MiaMidi. $125. 24/96, 1/4" inputs, S/PDIF in/out, flawless drivers, superb quality, rock-solid.

'nuff said.
Brian Standing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2006, 02:18 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Standing
Echo MiaMidi. $125. 24/96, 1/4" inputs, S/PDIF in/out, flawless drivers, superb quality, rock-solid.

'nuff said.
what is S/PDIF?
Old July 11th, 2006, 02:45 PM   #10
Trustee

That's the digital interface you will use to transport digital audio (PCM,AC3,DTS) to your receiver.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2006, 03:41 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Echo Mia is a mighty fine card - I have one connected to a Mackie 1202 and it makes a good combination for all sorts of stereo in and out.

The Mia is +4 TRS balanced - exactly what the 1202's outputs are (there's a second pair of xlr outputs from the 1202 as well).

It really is a great combination.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2006, 03:50 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Standing
Yep. That or an M-Audio Audiophile 192. They are roughly the same price and have roughly the same specs. I've used both successfully.

The main advantage of these cards is that they have balanced I/O, which will interface perfectly with your 1202. (I use my AP192 with a Mackie 1402VLZ Pro, and am very pleased.) They also support higher end interfaces such as ASIO and GSIF-2 (for use with professional software).

These card offer everything you need for monitoring. For recording it will work well enough through your Mackie preamps, but, as usual, you can get better results if you spend more cash. For top recording a high end A/D with a rock-solid clock and a boutique pre-amp matched to god's own mic will deliver goose bumps, but that's not in either of our budgets.

The bottom line is that either of these cards (or others mentioned above) will be all you need to deliver beautiful sounds to your monitors.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio