Transferring DAT Audio to a NLE at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 22nd, 2003, 05:32 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Transferring DAT Audio to a NLE

What is the standard procedure to get DAT audio into a laptop based non-linear editor?

I have an XL1s and used a borrowed DAT (TASCAM DA-P1 Portable DAT Recorder) to record a singer last night. The DAT was set up for 16-bit, 48K samples per second. I recorded ambient sound on the XL1s audio tracks (16-bit audio, 48k samples per second).

Should I copy the DAT audio to the XL1s, then load the audio to the NLE via firewire?

Or is there a better way to get it into the NLE?

I was worred about the potential quality loss by inputting the DAT audio into the analog inputs on the laptop.

The DA-P1 has digital outputs, but I do not know how to connect these to my laptop, which does have firewire. I assume they are not compatible at all.
Old February 22nd, 2003, 06:51 AM   #2
Warden

To keep the great audio quality of the DAT recording you'll need to use the digital out of the DA-P1. Any other method will result in a loss of audio quality. The XLR analog out would produce a substantial loss of quality in relationship to the digital out. The digital output requires the use of the SPDIF digital I/O.

The easiest way to get SPDIF into your computer digitally is through a interface that will convert it to USB. M-Audio makes a device called the Audiophile USB which handles USB, MIDI, analog I/O (RCA connections) SPDIF I/O and headphone out with level adjust. It usually retails for under $200 and is Mac and PC compatible.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2003, 07:04 AM   #3
Wrangler

Some sound cards already support S/PDIF I/O. If yours doesn't, and this is a one-time deal, find a friend with a PC that does S/PDIF, then burn the resulting file(s) to CD for sneakernet to yor system.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2003, 12:02 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Dear Don and Jeff,

Thank you for your input.

I will consider the Autophile USB.

My computers currently do not have the S/PDIF inputs/outputs.

Do your know of any studio DAT recorders that have USB or Firewire I/O already built in?

Don, I will check around to see if my associates can do the transfer. We have a corporate division that may have the right equipment.
Old February 22nd, 2003, 12:22 PM   #5
Warden

I'm not aware of any at this time, but I'm not a big time audio guy. All of my audio is for video so my requirements are not as sophisticated as some. I've move the post to get better exposure and maybe someone knows of one.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2003, 12:50 PM   #6
Major Player

Here is another product you can consider from Edirol for digital transfer from the DAT to a computer:

http://www.edirol.com/products/info/ua1d.html

Not sure about the studio DAT question.
Christopher Go is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio