SK 100 transmitter work with dynamic mics? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 12th, 2006, 11:59 PM   #1
Regular Crew

SK 100 transmitter work with dynamic mics?

Hi. Does anybody know if the Sennheiser SK 100/SK100 bodypack transmitter (part of the ew100.* evolution wireless solutions) works with a regular handheld dynamic microphone? I know it's designed for condenser lavalier mics, like Sennheiser's ME2/ME-2 or ME4/ME-4.

I know people rave about the SKP100 or SKP 100 G2 plug-on transmitter as it works with any XLR microphone, whether it's a condenser (needs power), or dynamic microphone.

I'm thinking about buying the EW100-ENG G2 kit, which includes the EK100G2 Receiver, SKP100G2 Plug-On Transmitter, SK100G2 BodyPack Transmitter and ME2 Microphone

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=324228&is=REG

Thanks,
Allan
Allan Tabilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2006, 05:18 AM   #2
Inner Circle

FYI - the SKP100 plugon transmitter does not supply phantom power. You need to move up to the SKP500 to get phantom. The 500 transmitter is compatible with the 100 receiver though so you can stick with the less expensive receiver if you're so inclined.
Old July 13th, 2006, 05:34 AM   #3
Regular Crew

SK 100 transmitter work with dynamic mics

Steve, thanks for the quick reply. Do you happen to know if the SK100 bodypack transmitter works with regular handheld dynamic mics?

From past posts I know that the SKP100 plug-in transmitter works with a conventional dynamic handheld mics. But I'm concerned about the SK100 bodypack / put next to your waist transmitter. It works with condenser lavalier mics, how about handheld dynamic mics?

Or does everybody with the SK100 ONLY use lavalier condenser mics?

Thanks
Allan
Old July 13th, 2006, 05:50 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I have the SK300 bodypack transmitter and this does work with dynamic mics.
Sonny Horsfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2006, 09:36 AM   #5
Trustee

The bodypack transmitter works with a handheld
dynamic just fine. You just need the XLR-to-locking
1/8" adapter that Senn sells. Costs around $20 or
so.
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2006, 10:11 AM   #6
Regular Crew

SK100 bodypack transmitter with dynamic microphone

Dave/Sonny, thanks for the quick replies. Sonny says the SK300 equivalent bodypack transmitter works with a handheld dynamic mic. Hopefully the SK 100 equivalent bodypack will work.

Dave, Is this the Sennheiser XLR to locking 1/8 adapter (part number, otherwise?)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
CL-100? or am I looking for CL2? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Dave, I may use a cheap 1/8 (3.5mm) native dynamic microphone cable for now, as I may not get the CL-100 or CL2 (not sure which one) in time for this weekend (conducting interviews).

Dave/Sonny, what does the EK 100 (or whatever you have) kick out to the camcorder, for it's 3.5mm connector, a mono signal, or stereo?

Also, what you have multiple transmitters (SK 100, SKP100, etc), is that on a left or right channel? both channels? Sorry for all the questions?
Old July 13th, 2006, 10:53 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Tabilas
...what does the EK 100 (or whatever you have) kick out to the camcorder, for it's 3.5mm connector, a mono signal, or stereo?
Mono.

Quote:
Also, what you have multiple transmitters (SK 100, SKP100, etc), is that on a left or right channel? both channels?
If you have two transmitters, you need 2 receivers. 2 receivers will typically be routed to two channels on the camcorder. This allows you to treat the two mics (eq, compress, etc.) separately in post, which is a good thing.

If you have a 3.5mm audio input connector on your camcorder, this is difficult without a mixer, or perhaps if single-handing a beachtek adaptor screwed to the bottom of the camera. If so, you'd use the xlr cables out of the receivers to the beachtek, which then plugs into the 3.5mm on the camera.

A mixer is somewhat the same drill as the beachtek with more control, better monitoring and easier ergonomics. But it is an extra piece of gear that in many cases (depending on style of production and skills) may be best handled by another crew member.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2006, 11:04 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Sk100

Seth, thanks for the reply. So it's mono out from the EK 100. Also I need additional receivers per transmitter. This is great information. I watched Guy's "how to video podcast" on the sennheiser ew1xx series on http://www.dvestore.com , so that's pretty helpful from an operational perspective (excited to get the ew100 eng kit from bhphoto)

Regarding the mixer, can you recommend any mixer solutions? Something that would have to sit on a table, or some small mixer, that could possibly be live on the camera (throwing it out there)? model numbers, etc?

Thanks,
Allan
Old July 13th, 2006, 11:10 AM   #9
Fred Retread

The CL2 is what you want to connect an XLR mic to the transmitter.

But if the mic already has a cable (yes, its 1/8" plug will go into the transmitter's jack), why do you want the above?

The G2 system only handles a mono signal. The receiver supplies dual mono, i.e., applies the same signal to both channels of the camcorder through the 1/8" plug.

If you have two transmitters, you need two receivers--each transmitter/receiver set operating on a different frequency. You can't use the body pack and the plug on at the same time with the same reciever.

With two systems you need a way to connect the two receivers to the camcorder. Most people would use a two-channel XLR adapter and use the 1/8" to XLR cables supplied with the G2 kits. They have the option of sending each signal to both channels or separately to the right and left.
Old July 13th, 2006, 11:19 AM   #10
Fred Retread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Tabilas
Regarding the mixer, can you recommend any mixer solutions? Something that would have to sit on a table, or some small mixer, that could possibly be live on the camera (throwing it out there)? model numbers, etc?
DXA-4 or DXA-4p, depending on your camcorder. The only difference is location of the mounting hole for best balance. Harry@beachtek.com can steer you to the right one.
http://www.beachtek.com/products.html
Old July 13th, 2006, 12:14 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Fred, thanks for the reply. You're right that I don't need a sennheiser CL2 cable now, as my current handheld microphone (cheap ars-technica $30 mic) is 1/8" anyway, so that will be native to the SK 100 bodypack transmitter.

Seth mentioned earlier that I'll need multiple receivers if I want to use a SKP100 plug-in transmitter and a SK 100 bodypack transmitter at the same time. Time to save up additional money.

Regarding mixers, I've heard great things about the Beachtek adapters. I have a Panasonic ag-dvc30. According to the website, the DXA-4 is for a sony vx2100, and the DXA-4p is for a Canon xl2/gl series camera. What would work for a panny dvc30?

Thanks,
Allan
Old July 13th, 2006, 01:12 PM   #12
Fred Retread

Allan, as to which Beachtek would be best for you, I suggest that you email Harry Kaufmann at Beachtek. He's very responsive and helpful. Harry@beachtek.com. Either one will work, it's just that one will mount closer to the balance point of the cam than the other.
Old July 13th, 2006, 01:30 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Fred, I'll email Harry at Beachtek tonight regarding the correct xlr adapter for the panasonic ag-dvc30.

Thanks,
Allan
Old April 17th, 2013, 02:53 PM   #14
Major Player

Re: SK 100 transmitter work with dynamic mics?

I have a similar question. I have 2 of the EW-100 G2 mic transmitters. So they don't provide any phantom power
?

Can I assume that any mic plugged into any of the G2 EW-100 systems is a dynamic mic?

I what to be able to use the plug in mic transmitter with a lav mic, for example. They just sit around most of the time and maybe with an 1/8" to xlr adapter I could make use of them?

That way I'd just find a used receiver, and add to my capabilities.
Larry Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 03:09 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Re: SK 100 transmitter work with dynamic mics?

The don't provide phantom power, but they do provide power to make a condenser lav mic work. Phantom is different. All the big radio mic pack manufacturers either use a core of the mic cable to supply power - often 5V, and then have another conductor with unbalanced audio. Other manufacturers simply superimpose the polarising voltage onto the audio conductor. So most mics plugged in are NOT dynamic, they're condensers. What you can't do is connect a condenser designed for 48V phantom powering over it's balanced XLR connection into a lav pack - they're unbalanced and have different powering systems. Your mic packs can have an XLR cable attached - but - to do this requires shorting XLR pins 1 and 3 (or 1 and 2) - and will only work with dynamics.

Don't forget that sennheiser use the tip and the ring for different level connections - mic level on one and line level on the other. I don't know if the Audio Technica mics mentioned up the thread a little do the same - so connecting a 3 circuit 3.5mm jack to a 3 circuit XLR is not a 1-1,2-2,3-3 system, it will be a version for the specific job.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio