Failure: AT3031 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 16th, 2006, 07:22 AM   #16
Sponsor: VASST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House
I did see your post and it was duly noted and accepted :)
Ditto. I read the whole thing.

Fred, Just to add to what Steve said: I have at AT897 which gives hotter output on 48v phantom power from my Sony Z1U than it does using the internal battery. So I know first hand that the phantom voltage definitely affects the output of the mic.

I stand by my comment. The mic will perform better with 48v than 12v phantom power.

~jr
Old July 16th, 2006, 11:01 AM   #17
Fred Retread

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rofrano
Ditto. I read the whole thing.

Fred, Just to add to what Steve said: I have at AT897 which gives hotter output on 48v phantom power from my Sony Z1U than it does using the internal battery. So I know first hand that the phantom voltage definitely affects the output of the mic.

I stand by my comment. The mic will perform better with 48v than 12v phantom power...
No, my first hand experience is that it won't. And your first hand exprerience doesn't contradict that. What you learned is that 1.5V battery operation vs. 48V phantom operation definitely affects the output of the AT897.

1.5V battery power is pretty low, they probably couldn't compensate for that with the circuitry. And that's why AT specs two different sensitivities for the AT897, one for 11-48V phantom, and a lower one for battery--consistent with your experience.

They only spec one sensitivity for the AT3031--consistent with my experience.

Last edited by David Ennis; July 16th, 2006 at 02:36 PM.
David Ennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2006, 01:01 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Retread

They only spec one sensitivity for the AT3031--consistent with my experience.
And for the record I won't dispute your experience either, placing myself in the position of a mugwump, sitting firmly on the fence with my mug on one side and my wump on the other <grin>. While I've got a couple of 3031s, I only have sources of 48v phantom so I can't test them with other voltages in order to resolve the matter one way or the other.
Old July 16th, 2006, 02:39 PM   #19
Fred Retread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House
...While I've got a couple of 3031s, I only have sources of 48v phantom so I can't test them with other voltages in order to resolve the matter one way or the other.
No problem Steve--it's already been resolved. ;>)
Old July 17th, 2006, 06:10 AM   #20
Sponsor: VASST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Retread
What you learned is that 1.5V battery operation vs. 48V phantom operation definitely affects the output of the AT897.
You are correct, I was extrapolating one experience with low voltage for another. I don’t personally own any phantom power units that are not 48v so perhaps my observation in one low voltage scenario doesn’t hold true for the other. I stand corrected.

~jr
Old July 19th, 2006, 04:18 PM   #21
Fred Retread

Thanks, John. And no one is completely wrong here. Just to round out the discussion I checked with Audio Technica. Their reply was that if the phantom power for one of their mics is specified at 11-52 then all the performance parameters are good for that range of voltage.

However, they do have some mics (AT4051 and AT4053 for example) that are spec'd for 48V. Those mics will suffer at less than 48V. There are probably many models of other brands out there that will also.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio