Sennheiser 416- Class Needed 101 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 14th, 2006, 07:32 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sennheiser 416- Class Needed 101

Got it!! So I'm in search of some input from the wizards - this is the place!!

Have a Sony Z1U and in looking at the settings I first encounter at audio output with a current setting of - 2VRMS (suspect that's the default setting for the on board mic) - do I want to leave it at that as you can reduce it to - 1VRMS - why the ability to change and if so for what reason?

Trim - what a selection - where should it generally be set and again why the range of settings?

Phantom power - just as a point of curiosity how much (if any) does one lose on the battery life - probably next to none making it a non issue.

And lastly - it came with the standard foam windscreen - hey - it was part of the package - but a real wind muff such as the Rycote - does it make a dramatic difference? I also have the Rode shock mount so having it appear in the frame won't become a problem.

I know that this is mostly trial and error as well as personal preferences but as we all know a little insight can save a lot of grief.
George Yousko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2006, 05:28 AM   #2
Inner Circle

The 2 output settings are so you can tailor the output level for audio playback to the needs of the device you're driving - headphones, passive speakers, active speakers, etc.

Input trim - think of it as a coarse level control for the audio inputs, used to adjust the input's sensitivty to match the output of the mic or other device driving it. For example, condensor mics are usually much hotter than dynamics so you'd set the trim to an appropriate range depending on which mic you were using at the time.

Don't know about the phantom effect on battery life. I dount if it would be really signifigant since phantom doesn't draw much power.

As the the foam windscreen versus a Rycote ... the foam screen is mainly to keep slight air movement - the talent's breath or moving the mic around, for example, from being recorded. For signifigant breezes a zepplin or a furry will be noticably better.
Old July 15th, 2006, 04:01 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hey Steve

You unmasked the fundamentals - appreciate your filling in the blanks.

Thanks,

George
George Yousko is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio