R-09 Mic Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 22nd, 2006, 04:45 PM   #1
Major Player

R-09 Mic Question

I just had a weird experience with the R-09 and was wondering if anyone can explain it.

The R-09 performed and sounded great by itself using its internal microphone.
I took it's audio file into I-Tunes and it sounded good there. I took it FCP and it sounded good there both as ain aif and a wav.

The problem occurred when I used an external mic (AT3031) with a pre-amp.
The audio file sounded fine on the R-09 with headphones. It sounded fine when played in I-Tunes. BUT the file DID NOT PLAY when put in FCP. I heard nothing at all. However, FCP's audio meter was jumping up and down and I could see the wave patterns in FCP. Kind of baffled about this.
-Scott
Scott Routt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2006, 07:05 PM   #2
Major Player

Answer: FCP played the files this time. The difference was that I set the R-09 to Mono instead of Stereo. And I also set the R-09 to "No Power" for Mic. Not sure which one made the difference yet.

Funny thing though. So far the audio sounds better using the R-09 internal mic rather than an external mic.
Old July 22nd, 2006, 07:30 PM   #3
Major Player

FCP won't play R-09 files if the R-09 is set to Stereo. Has to be Mono. That's strange, especially since I see the audio meters running.
Old July 23rd, 2006, 03:12 AM   #4
Major Player

I could see it getting confused by mono. but confused by stereo? thats really odd.
Andrew Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2006, 09:27 AM   #5
Fred Retread

Acually, it's very common. If you apply a balanced mono signal to the two channels of a stereo input, then the two channels are identical with opposite polarity and cancel each other out. You won't notice that in headphones.

Scott, I don't know what you can and can't do in FCP, but if you listen to one channel at a time it will be fine, and if you can "invert" one of the channels then the two will sound fine together.

As to why the R-09 sounds so good with its own mic, well that's what the manufacturer claims. Maybe they weren't exaggerating.
Old July 23rd, 2006, 03:23 PM   #6
Major Player

That's really neat Fred. Thanks! I'll give it a shot and report the results.
-Scott
Old July 30th, 2006, 03:33 AM   #7
Regular Crew

You can find a lot of information of R-09 users here at that site http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=68518.0 where I remember having read that the internal mics of the R-09 are considered O.K. but not up to the job these more serious tapers there want. They certainly would prefer other mics, an ext. preamp only if it is better than the already good one inside the R-09.
To view one has to become a member though.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio