DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Windows WAVE vs Mac WAVE (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/72073-windows-wave-vs-mac-wave.html)

Chris Hocking July 23rd, 2006 12:24 AM

Windows WAVE vs Mac WAVE

I'm having trouble getting some audio files off a Mac and onto a Windows PC.

I tried using the "Save As" function in Soundtrack Pro to export the audio as as "WAVE File". When bringing the file onto a Windows PC it doesn't open. It doesn't have a "WAV" extension either.

Then I tried exporting a song as a "Windows WAVE" out of Reason. It doesn't play on a Windows PC. But it does have a "WAV" file extension.

I'm pretty sure I can "bounce" the audio out of ProTools, but I would prefer to just be able to directly save a Windows compadible file out of Soundtrack Pro.

Any ideas?

Alister Robbie July 23rd, 2006 02:09 AM

The other option to try would be to use AIFF as your interchange format. (AIFF = Audio Interchange File Format) Because AIFF does not use a compression codec, it is completely compatible with both systems. Your PC system at the other end will probably want to convert it to a WAVE before working with it, but at least you will have the data across.

Cheers

Al

Steve House July 23rd, 2006 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hocking
I'm having trouble getting some audio files off a Mac and onto a Windows PC.

I tried using the "Save As" function in Soundtrack Pro to export the audio as as "WAVE File". When bringing the file onto a Windows PC it doesn't open. It doesn't have a "WAV" extension either.

Try changing the filename to add the extension and see if that helps. What program on windows are you trying to open it in?

Cannon Pearson July 23rd, 2006 06:47 AM

You say that you used the Save As command. That just saves the Soundtrack session. Did you try the Export command. Soundtrack uses aif files by default, and I can't find a way to change that. Soundtrack Pro may give you an option for wav files, but I don't know.

Have you tried to play the exported files from Reason on another PC. It may be a problem with that machine. Exporting wavs from Reason is a pretty simple affair. If the PC can't play those files then I doubt that files from ProTools are going to work either.

Douglas Spotted Eagle July 23rd, 2006 08:03 AM

you need to export, not Save As, like Chris mentioned.
Also, you can export as a .wav from Soundtrack, but I've yet to see any PC app that won't open an AIFF file either.

Scott Routt July 24th, 2006 03:54 AM

What OS is the PC running? I finally got an XP a couple months ago. Up until then, I had to manually type the extention to the file name on the Mac if wanted an older PC to read my adobe files.

Chris Hocking July 24th, 2006 04:03 AM

Thanks everyone...