Shotgun+Wireless for GL2 ??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 3rd, 2006, 09:12 AM   #1
Tourist

Shotgun+Wireless for GL2 ???

I just recently purchased a Canon GL2. This is my first "real" camera. I'm new to all of this. Anyway, I am wanting to use it for filming hunts. I need to be able to have a shotgun microphone to pick up all of natures sounds, but at the same time I need a wireless mic so that you can hear the hunter's comments. After doing a lot of research, I think I'm still lost. The best solution i have come up with so far is to get either the Canon MA-300 XLR adapter so I can run both mics or the Beachtek DXA-4P. The Beachtek seems to be better in most people's opinions and would actually work better for me since it has a 1/8" input and the wireless mic I already bought uses that (Sony WCS-999). Which adapter is better in your opinons? Is there an alternative method to accomplish what i am trying to do? I already tried using the mic mix input on the Sony Wireless, but all of the mics I plugged into that were really quiet or distorted. The mics I already tried that way were the Audio-Technica ATR 55 and the Sony ECM-Z37C. Neither sounded as good as the Canon DM-50 that I also have, even when plugged directly into the camera. So I also need an opinion on which shotgun/directional microphone to buy that will work either with the setup I already have or one that will work with which ever XLR adapter you recommend. Thanks for the help!!
Bill Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2006, 06:23 AM   #2
Tourist

If I go with the Beachtek, would the RODE NTG-2 be a good choice for a shotgun microphone?
Bill Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2006, 04:59 PM   #3
Major Player

Bill--

I have an NTG-1, which is exactly the same mic as the NTG-2 except that it lacks the battery power option. I've been extremely happy with it. It has a low noise floor and a nice hot signal. Since it's a short shotgun, it has a slightly wider pickup pattern than some of the schmancy long shotguns, which makes it a little less directional. However, this drawback is offset by the fact that a wider pattern makes it a fairly decent mic for most indoor shooting situations (unless in a super-live room) in addition to outdoor. It's pretty darn versatile--somewhere between a shotgun and a hypercardioid. For the money, it's hard to beat. I highly recommend it to anyone who doesn't have beaucoup $$$ to spend on high-end Sennies and Schoepses(es?)

No, I'm not a Rode shill. I just really like the mic.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio