Digital audio recorders? - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 28th, 2006, 02:58 PM   #106
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Largent
Does the Zoom have L and R independantly
adjustable gain?
According to the manual, it does have independantly adjustable L/R Gain input. the only disadvantge is that it's done internally in the menu, and not on the acutal unit itself like the Microtrack.
Old September 28th, 2006, 03:35 PM   #107
Inner Circle

Just to add to all this: I recently bought a HiMD MZ-RH1 and I can't say enough good things about it.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

It has a rugged aluminum casing (both sides), records uncompressed at 16 bit 44.1 and the recordings are unrestricted, although you do have to use the Sony software, which stinks. It works on a Mac as well, but only for self made recordings.

The best thing though is the controls. All of the buttons are large and easy to find without even looking at the unit. I especially love the record button. The gain controls are excellent as well. You could easily ride them if you had to. The display is on the edge, so I velcro to the outside of my SD302 bag (there's already a patch of 'furry' velcro there for the transparent flap that covers the face) and can see both meters at a glance. It remembers all your settings so once you set it up, it's ready to go and you don't have navigate any menus. We use an AD converter which fits beautifully in the lower part of the bag, and record via optical cable. This is one instance that breaks the rule of low cost, convenience and performance. You get all three with this unit. Can't vouch for the preamps, as like I said, we use an AD converter, but I'll bet it would sound great using the line in, something very easy to do with the 302, which has a dedicated output just for that.

It's all so perfect I'm sure Sony's going to kill off the format any day now. :)

Oh, one other thing -- a field swappable internal battery. Takes five seconds. Awesome.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2006, 11:45 PM   #108
Trustee

How's that RH1 feel? Like flimsy plastic?
A solid feel to it?
Are the channels independently adjustable?
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2006, 03:53 PM   #109
Regular Crew

Hi everyone, new member here trying to line up all the ducks for a 3-hour conference room shoot this tuesday - I just received the micro-track from B&H, used it to do some room ambience checks at the specific conference room but I'm a bit concerned over the battery thing - has anyone who owns one actually recorded til it died? I've not been able to find a spec on battery life yet, may have to test that part myself in the next few days, since it would be much better NOT to have yet another cord plugged in.

Doing this shoot with consumer DV, both cams have AGC only (yuch) so plan to put a Senn G2/Tram lav on the main guy (instructor), an RE50 on other channel of the micro track, then a Rode Stereo Video mic on one DVcam and a Beachtek DXA-4p with ATM 897 shotgun on one channel and ATM-25 hypercardioid on the other. Will set one DV cam at one side of this fairly narrow room on a tall tripod and hand-hold the other one from other side of the room, so I can later do a "quasi" 2-cam thing in post, with at least one pair of "non-breathing" audio tracks to use.

Sorry for the long post, just don't want to blow this since we'll NOT get a second chance at this material - unless you see some glaring error in the above method, I only need a response to the following -

If you've done a "death rattle" battery test on the Micro-Track, I'd appreciate any comments - thanks... Steve
Steve Leverich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2006, 05:54 PM   #110
Regular Crew

Nevermind - from here

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...2496-main.html

"MicroTrack is powered via long-life lithium-ion batteries. You can record for approximately four to five hours on a single charge (or about three hours with phantom power engaged). Recharge the battery by simply connecting MicroTrack to a PC or Mac via USB, or using an optional power supply."

Sounds like my 3-hour shoot's within reasonable limits (no phantom required)... Steve
Old September 29th, 2006, 07:25 PM   #111
Major Player

Steve my experience of manufacturers statements about probable battery life times for their equipment is that they're almost invariably hopelessly optimistic.
Lithium Ions tend not to reach full capacity until they've gone through 4 or 5 full charge/discharge cycles, so althouh you say that your read "4 to 5 hours" and you think it'll be a 3hour gig, that would.....have me quite concerned i'd run out of juice.

I'd think of a Plan B. - just a thought.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2006, 03:34 AM   #112
Regular Crew

Good point Stu, and since this unit is the only one involved that has manual level control, even more reason for a plan "B" - which in this case is an extension cord to reach beyond the nearest outlet :=) , making the BATTERY my "plan B"...

BTW, it'll be interesting to see just how MUCH pumping/breathing the AGC's on my two Elura's do, since this conference room is on one side of a heavy manufacturing facility and there's a constant LF throb/hum in the room to keep the AGC awake (maybe) - at any rate, this scenario is a perfect use for the NR setup in Samplitude, which I've used in similar cases with excellent success

(Talk about yer serious "room tone")

Thanks for reminding me that most manufacturers seem to think more highly of their products than us poor end users do... Steve
Old October 1st, 2006, 10:58 PM   #113
Regular Crew

Update on the Micro Track battery life - just ran it in record mode, battery only, with headphones monitoring at full volume, after messing around with gains/wireless stuff, etc - mess-around time plus recording time totaled about 3-1/4 hours (all in record mode with phones driven at full volume) - according to the battery indicator there was still a small amount of life left.

I'm thinking that with phones NOT connected it should meet the claims of M Audio (but I'm still taking an extension cord :=)

Other thing I found was that even a Rode video mic (mono one) doesn't really drive this thing very strong thru the mini input - I ended up cutting back on output from my Senn G2 a bit and using the TRS inputs (only way to use the +27 dB gain up feature) - worked fine; (Left/Lav, Right/Rode) still quite clean on playback(didn't listen on monitors, only phones) -

Using a 4 gig CF card @ 24/48 stereo, total record time reported is 3:55, with max per file of 1:55 (without doing the math, I'm assuming this is the fat32 size kicking in.)

One problem I had with this unit (aside from those already mentioned) is no way to mount it to anything - all that comes with it is a dumb little drawstring bag.

Being somewhat of a "mad scientist" type, I found a piece of scrap stainless steel plate (14 gauge), cut it into an "L" shape, drilled a hole in the narrow part of the "L", and bolted it to the unused handle rosette of my Bogen 501 tripod head - I then used a couple of 1/2" wide strips of industrial strength velchro to hold the Micro track to this bracket - this puts the unit right in front of me when I'm behind the camera. I made the mounting plate nice and smooth so there's no need to even remove it from the Microtrack, I just loosen the wing nut and slip it off the tripod.

Gig's day after tomorrow, hoping for a broken leg :=) ... Steve
Old October 2nd, 2006, 08:00 AM   #114
Inner Circle

"How's that RH1 feel? Like flimsy plastic?"

Not at all. It feels very sturdy and rugged. None of the buttons are flimsy either. The left and right audio tracks are not independently adjustable unfortunately.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2006, 02:39 PM   #115
Regular Crew

by the way, b&h finally got zoom h4, so hopefully well get more info from our forum members...
Victor Burdiladze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2006, 02:45 PM   #116
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Burdiladze
by the way, b&h finally got zoom h4, so hopefully well get more info from our forum members...
My H4, sweetwater.com is on it's way to me as I write this.
I hope to have it sometime early next week, and have some feedback comparing the H4, and my R-09 and Microtrack for everyone in a week or so.

From a poster in another forum, it sounds like this thing is going to be the sweet.
Old October 11th, 2006, 04:12 AM   #117
New Boot

Incredible, just had a look at the Zoom H4 on B&H, a 4 track digital recorder for $300....what a steal! I was going to buy the Edirol R-09 but have now changed my mind.

Thanks for the info!
Armand Sonneville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2006, 04:33 AM   #118
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armand Sonneville
Incredible, just had a look at the Zoom H4 on B&H, a 4 track digital recorder for $300....what a steal! I was going to buy the Edirol R-09 but have now changed my mind.

Thanks for the info!
You might want to check into the details on that.
I don't think it does 4 channels at once, if that
is a consideration for you.
Old October 11th, 2006, 04:33 AM   #119
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armand Sonneville

Thanks for the info!
You might want to check into the details on that.
I don't think it does 4 channels at once, if that
is a consideration for you.
Old October 11th, 2006, 05:03 AM   #120
New Boot

Just checked the features on the B&H website and I quote:

"Four-Track Recording
Record Multiple Tracks, such as Vocal, Guitar, and Bass, Simultaneously"

So, it should do it but even without that feature its still a steal, it even comes inluded with a 128Mb SD card, all that for $299......
Armand Sonneville is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio