Audioi problems with Sennheiser ew 122-p G2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 5th, 2006, 04:45 AM   #1
Major Player

Audio problems with Sennheiser ew 122-p G2

Hi all,

Yes this is an audio question but it's specific to the Z1.

I've just purchased the Sennheiser Evolution wireless mics (I got both an omni and a cardioid) and I'm struggling to get good audio with them.

I've used them into a mixer and even straight into head phones and got good sound but I plug the receiver into the Z1 and I get audio that sounds like it's 'maxed out' if that makes any sense.

I've made sure that the problem is not the mic touching clothing or anything like that.

I've fiddled with the output settings on the receiver as well as the gain settings on the Z1 but cannot find a good balance.

Does anyone have any similar stories with these products?
John Hewat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2006, 07:00 AM   #2
Major Player

Go in and adjust the ouput settings on the transmitter and reciever. They come from the factory at wide open. I usally set the reciver at -20 and the Transmitter at 0 and work from there with the gain on the camera. Also look at the camera settings for audio and see where they are. My Z1U came from the factory cranked up also.
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2006, 07:02 AM   #3
Major Player

Sorry didn't read your whole post before sending my last one. Check the transmitter it has an output setting also. set it to 0 I think it comes from the factory at 12.
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2006, 09:04 AM   #4
Major Player

Using a Sennheiser with my Sony A1U, I have to set the wireless transmitter to the -20 or -30 (I don't have it in front of me) setting AND have the mic attenuator turned on in the camera. Sounds great this way. But the Senny wireless is hot!

chuck
Chuck Fadely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2006, 10:24 AM   #5
Fred Retread

Actually, setting the transmitter gain is independent of the type of camera in use. Set the transmitter gain first, then the camera, then the G2 receiver as follows:

The transmitter's gain must be set at a level appropriate for the loudness of the sound hitting the mic. Place the mic in position and hold the transmitter where you can see it. Set the level so that normal speech gives a good indication and only a shout will light the peak LED. You will probably find that this is the -10dB setting.

Next set the camera. With noting plugged in (i.e., using the on board mic) set it to manual audio and adjust for peaks of about -20dB to -12dB for a "normal" level of sound source, for instance a person speaking at a distance of 4-5 feet. This is roughly where the cam would like to run.

Plug in the receiver and adjust the output to get as close as you can to -20 to -12dB peaks on the cam's recording indicators for normal sound coming from the transmitter. This will probably be the -30dB setting if the cam's mic attentuation is off, and -10dB if it's on.

Finally, fine tune the recording level with the cam's controls.
Old August 16th, 2006, 01:08 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Outstanding procedural, Fred. Thank you and others! Tells me alot about the system I'm window shopping for exactly the same camera as Chuck's.

- Loren
Loren Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio