Video formats supported by Protools DV Toolkit at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 6th, 2006, 01:21 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Video formats supported by Protools DV Toolkit

Does anyone know if I can export my video from FCP as anything else than DV PAL when sending it of to protools? I would like to minimize the size of the file (which is 10,8 GB) by using codecs such as H.264 or motion JPEG. Does Protools DV Toolkit support this kind of compressed video?
Old August 7th, 2006, 10:29 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I don't know... but I do know that when playing around with Logic Pro and doing this, Logic accepted quicktime movies. So any quicktime format was fine. I did a half sized mp4 and things were great.

So, if Protools is using quicktime for its video playback (are you on a mac?) then I would imagine using non-dv format video is fine - probably preferable.

This is just a guess.
Tim Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2006, 12:21 PM   #3
Regular Crew

dont' forget

A little tip, don't forget when exporting movies for the sound guys, to burn the time code on the video itself. That way you will have a reliable way of manually entering the offset value in pro tools in case things should slip. This method has proved time and again to avoid mistakes...
Patomakarn Nitanontawat is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio