Rode Stereo Video Mic? What do you use it for? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 8th, 2007, 06:21 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Crap Andreas!

Sorry I didn't notice your country of origin.

It's a very nice mic. I have reviews of audio gear in my On Line Archive. Look in the Mic Review folder for the review of theis one and others.

It was good enough for NBC to use it in the Australian Olympics and at other olympics after that.

You may still be able to order it from someone.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2007, 07:44 PM   #32
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford
Crap Andreas!

Sorry I didn't notice your country of origin.

It's a very nice mic. I have reviews of audio gear in my On Line Archive. Look in the Mic Review folder for the review of theis one and others.

It was good enough for NBC to use it in the Australian Olympics and at other olympics after that.

You may still be able to order it from someone.

Regards,

Ty Ford

thank's for your concern, you are very kind Ty.

if you say it's a great mic than it is a great mic!
Certainly I'll remember AT835ST.

Looking at my sig. you will notice that all my audio gear is unballanced. This is because I need my equipment to be ultra portable. 9 months out of the year I am on the road, so I am happy with my stuff. Now my video + audio gear make for half of my luggage and overweight already is a problem so I may not decide to go to ballanced yet. In case I will I can buy the AT 835ST in Japan where I spend some time each year and have bought most of my equippment.
For now I better look for a shotgun first.
Old January 13th, 2007, 05:52 AM   #33
Major Player

Rode Stereo Video mic

Let me go back for a while to the original topic.
I am considering this Rode for stereo recording, however it comes with a 3.5 jack connector and my cam has XLR-s. So far I have not found any adaptor to make it work.
Any idea how to fix this? I really like this mic.

Thanks
Old January 13th, 2007, 08:29 AM   #34
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsolt Gordos
I am considering this Rode for stereo recording, however it comes with a 3.5 jack connector and my cam has XLR-s. So far I have not found any adaptor to make it work.

Thanks
You'll probably need a couple of adapters in sequence. The Hosa cable website has an example of one way to approach it though you can find the same things from other manufacturers as well. Use their 'Y' cable, model YMM197 that splits a female inline stereo minijack to two L&R mono RCA male pin plugs. The white RCA comes from the tip of the mini, the red RCA from the ring. That in turn would plug into a pair of their GXM133 female RCA to male XLR adapters plugged into your camera's mic inputs.

Better and cheapest to just get a couple of short pieces of cable and some connectors and warm up the soldering iron. You'll need an an inline female 3.5mm stereo minijack and 2 XLR male connectors. Wire it so the tip connection in the minijack goes to the left XLR pin 2, the ring in the minijack goes to the right XLR pin 2, and the sleeve in the minijack goes to pin 3 in both XLR's. Inside each XLR also jumper pin 1 and pin 3 together. You could also save a little soldering by getting a female stereo minijack to L&R dual mono anything 'Y' cable, cutting off the two connectors at the end of the legs and replacing them with XLRs. In either case the end result will be a 'Y' with 2 pieces of cable coming out of the minijack, each going to an XLR connector.
Old January 13th, 2007, 10:03 AM   #35
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsolt Gordos

Thanks
Instead of the rode for stereo, consider an Audio Technica AT835ST. XLRs, mono or stereo. Nice mic.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio