DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Audio kit for PD150 & JVC HD101 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/73670-audio-kit-pd150-jvc-hd101.html)

Vasi Hasan August 15th, 2006 04:26 PM

Audio kit for PD150 & JVC HD101

Hey guys;

You've probably heard this before. I need help trying to figure out which kit I need for the two cameras mentioned, or anything with an XLR in.

I'm pretty sure I'll get the sennheiser G2 lav for interview situations.

I was pretty sure I'd get the SME66/K6 for location/reality stuff, but I've just read that it's pretty bad indoors. So what do I use if I'm shooting dialogue indoors? Senn 416 seems a bit expensive, so anything a bit cheaper would be nice.

I also need a hand-held mic, the kind that hosts/reporters hold in their hands - please suggest a model. Can it be something that I can use the K6 with? Or something that I can use indoors instead of the ME66?

I was thinking of getting the BHphoto kits, they seem like good deals. Does anybody know if there's any custom duty / VAT tax thingy when they mail the stuff to London?

Thanks for the help.
Vasi.

Jarrod Whaley August 15th, 2006 07:30 PM

You'll want a hypercardioid for recording indoors. The Rode NT3 is a pretty good one. It sells for around US$200. As for the handheld, the Shure SM58 is the usual suggestion.

Not sure about B&H shipping to the UK, but I'd think you'll be able to find these mics at a decent price from a UK seller somewhere.

Daniel Wang August 15th, 2006 08:59 PM

I love the SM58.
It's a great handheld vocal mic, for performance, but it's not a "video mic." We, along with many NPPA guys, judge by what we see in the shot. The SM58, dents easily on the grill, and wont hold a mic-flag as well.

Go with the EV RE50 or 635. They, are ENG-worthy mics. The RE50 has been the stand by for all ENG crews, the 635 has the guts of an RE50 in a thinner package. I think the 635, was running under $100, same as the SM58. The 635 will last you years, the RE50 probably longer. I've said it way too many times, but I've put my RE50 through heck, and backwards dragging it.

If you want top-notch sound, the Sennheiser MD46 and Shure SM63 are picks by sound-techs for the field. The look great (in looks) and sound even better.

But it all depends on what you have $$.

Mark Fry August 17th, 2006 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vasi Hasan
I was pretty sure I'd get the SME66/K6 for location/reality stuff, but I've just read that it's pretty bad indoors. So what do I use if I'm shooting dialogue indoors? Senn 416 seems a bit expensive, so anything a bit cheaper would be nice.

RODE NTG-1/NTG-2 "short shotgun" sounds better and costs rather less than ME66/K6. You could almost get an NTG-1 for outdoors and an NT-3 hyper (mentioned above) for indoors for the price of the ME66/K6... Worth a listen, anyhow.

Stu Holmes August 17th, 2006 12:24 PM

Vasi

For UK purchase, i'd recommend one of these two :
www.dolphinmusic.co.uk
www.dv247.com

Agree NT3 is a nice versatile mic, hypercardioid, good for indoors handheld or on a stand or you could even cam-mount it (but its a bit big) :

GBP109 (includes VAT) at dv247.com :
http://www.dv247.com/invt/10235/
and same price at dolphinmusic:
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/s...roduct_id/3001

Also you can get NTG1 and NTG2 from both those places too.

I think that doing this is better than B&H cos by the time you've had the impoirt duty thing, the extra shipping time, extra chance of damage in coming 3000miles+, poissible delay in customs, and ....if a fault develops easier cheaper and simpler to ship back to UK dealer than back across the Atlantic.

Prices are actually pretty good for these mics from decent pro audio dealers like that.

Tim Gray August 18th, 2006 12:17 PM

Sounds like people are giving you some good comments which I'll echo.

EV RE50 for the handheld. The 635 is actually the same mic minus a layer or two of wind protecting/shock mount.

Oktava MC012 for indoor hyper. A lot of people like it a lot. Or try the Rode. It's inexpensive but does the job.

There's a number of good suggestions for a shotgun. Rode, AT897 (I think thats it) etc. Dump the Senn ME66 for all the reasons stated. Or splurge and buy a used MK416. If you go T powered and you can power it, you might save a couple hundred bucks/pounds/euros.

You might be able to skip the wireless for interviews. If they are sit down, a wired lav will be just as easy, cheaper, and sound better. Countryman B6, sanken Cos11, etc. If you need a wireless, you might need 2. As someone said on some forum (maybe this one), usually when you pull a wireless rig out of the bag, it is immediately followed by a second one.

Small mixer. Sound Devices MixPre. Gives your audio guy something to play with. He should return the favor with better sounding audio.

Boom pole. K-Tek Avalon. Alu or graphite - let your wallet decide.

Shockmounts and wind protection. Rycote softie, ktek kssm or ksm, full Rycote zeppelin. You will probably want hefty wind protection for outdoors and the shotgun. For the hyper, look at the Rycote BBG (baby ball gag).

Cables, bag, sharpies, Sony MDR-7506 headphones.