Audio correction in FCP at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 22nd, 2006, 10:28 AM   #1
New Boot

Audio correction in FCP

After I finished taping our school's graduation ceremony, I sadly found out that the audio levels were extremely low. I'm wondering if there is any "trick" to increasing the levels in Final Cut Pro. I have already raised the db to 12. I am at a loss. Can anyone suggest something?

Thanks...Matt
Matt Hockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 02:27 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Duplicate your tracks and stack them up. It's not perfect, but if your tracks are clean it will help.
Tom Vandas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 02:31 PM   #3
Major Player

Do you have the complete Final Cut Studio set of applications? If so, Soundtrack Pro has a function called "normalize" (in the "Process" menu) that adjusts the overall audio level. What it does is look for the highest peak in your audio, and then bring this peak to a level you can specify. You can choose 0 dB to make it as loud as possible. Everything else in your file (or selection) is adjusted by the same amount.

And to add what you probably already know: doing this will increase the noise in your recording along with the actual signal, so don't expect too much...

- Martin
Martin Pauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 11:32 PM   #4
Inner Circle

In the "Apple" audio filters in FCP there's a peak limiter filter. In that there's the option of pre-amplifying the signal. That will help a great deal.

I would rather do that than stack tracks. Less clutter on the sequence.
Old August 26th, 2006, 10:18 PM   #5
Regular Crew

There's a big booster filter in FCP-- I've never used it, but you cna draw 60DB gain out of it. Forget the name.

To reduce clutter,(hate clutter) rather than stack, simply nest the track. Suddenly you get another 12DB boost from raising the nest volume line.

- Loren
Today's FCP 5 keytip:
Preview effects sections with Option-P or Option-Backslash!

Last edited by Douglas Spotted Eagle; August 27th, 2006 at 12:48 AM. Reason: non-sponsor link
Loren Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio