Rode Videomic & alternative mounting angles at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 31st, 2006, 10:23 PM   #1
Major Player

Rode Videomic & alternative mounting angles

I would like to know if the shock mount on the Videomic still works well if it is still mounted on the side, where the mounting base is vertical (mic still pointing forward) instead of horizontal like it would normally be when on top of a camera. I am helping someone decide what equipment to buy and we have not seen or used one of these.

Thank you!
Jeff DeMaagd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2006, 06:57 AM   #2

On the videomic, it's light enough that mounting sideways shouldn't be an issue. On the Stereo Video Mic, it's far too heavy to mount sideways and expect it to hold a balanced position.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2006, 08:08 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
On the videomic, it's light enough that mounting sideways shouldn't be an issue. On the Stereo Video Mic, it's far too heavy to mount sideways and expect it to hold a balanced position.
Thank you. The question was related to the original Videomic. I don't think it makes sense to use the SVM on its side as I would think that it would be recording up and down rather than left and right.
Jeff DeMaagd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2006, 08:45 AM   #4
New Boot

I purchased a Rode Videomic today and tested it on my Panasonic DVC30 tonight. I was surprised at the amount of noise it made as it rocked from side to side in it's shock mount. I wasn't holding the camera as still as I would if seriously shooting, and I didn't try it on my tri pod, I walked around a bit. Am I expecting too much or do I need to develop a steadicam type technique!
Old September 4th, 2006, 09:03 AM   #5

Are the rubber bands all in place correctly? holding one right now, and it's reasonably solid unless I jar it quite a bit. It could be your technique, but any movement that would jar the mic that much would/should result in unusable video, IMO.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2006, 05:02 PM   #6
New Boot

Yes, that's true. I wasn't thinking of video content at the time, just testing the mic for movement. When held steady so that the mic doesn't rock at all it should be ok. The bands seem to be fitted correctly. I may go back to the dealer and check it against another unit though. It certainly makes a noise with any slight movement. Thanks.
Old September 4th, 2006, 06:56 PM   #7
Major Player

Sometimes the rubber bands squeek. Give them some silicon lube spray and they'll quiet up. Also, watch for cracking on those bands. They can deteriorate rapidly. RODE will send you a new set for free if you email them.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2006, 11:57 PM   #8
New Boot

Located the problem. It wasn't adding up! Some of you spoke of squeaks but it was obvious no one else was experiencing this rattle, and after my third test I also knew none of you would find this noise acceptable. It appeared with the slightest movement. I took the mic off the camera and immediately established there was no rattle. Turns out the shoe on my handle is loose. The top screw is so tight I haven't been able to undo it yet, but on the underside there are two screw holes and I'm figuring if I find the right size screws I should be able to tighten up the shoe. Can't remember if they were ever there and came out or have always been missing. When I attach the mic to the camera shoe it doesn't rattle, but I like using the handle. Thanks again.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio