External Sound Card for Mac Pro? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 2nd, 2006, 03:24 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Schweer
A. J., that MOTU Traveller looks like a solution, but for me it might be like buying a Ferrari to drive to the grocery store. I guess I'm looking to something like this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

but that can be used with an Intel Mac. Do you think a device of this general quality would suffice? Or something between the MOTU and this?
But that device DOES work with a mac, despite the lack of mac support listed. As do most USB audio devices that conform to the generic audio spec.
Greg Bellotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2006, 07:00 PM   #17
Regular Crew

That's good news, Greg. So would a device that works with a pre-Intel Mac automatically also work with a new Intel Mac? My Microcenter had an M-audio device similar to the one I linked, like this:

http://www.microcenter.com/byos/byos...duct_id=219349

in a USB enclosure. But the sales person informed me that it wouldn't work with the newer dual-core Macs.
Jim Schweer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2006, 10:06 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Or if you can afford it, the RME Fireface 400 is a very good one too. Nice mic pres.
Patomakarn Nitanontawat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 04:54 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Mentioning again, the new Echo Audiofire 4 is worth a look at ~$275 or so. 4 analog inputs - 2 XLR universal mic/line/instrument with phantom and 2 1/4 line level. 4 1/4 analog outs. Excellent specs.
Old October 3rd, 2006, 05:39 AM   #20
Major Player

Jim,

The scary thing about the Creative is the driver. The Spec sheet says Windows. You need a box that works with the Apple CORE drivers (shipped with the Mac) or comes with a driver compatible with Os X. I'd check into that before I plunked my money down. OTOH it's only $50.

Anything that worked with an pre-Intel Mac SHOULD work with an Intel Mac but there are always some bugs with a major change in architecture.
A. J. deLange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 03:48 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Schweer
That's good news, Greg. So would a device that works with a pre-Intel Mac automatically also work with a new Intel Mac? My Microcenter had an M-audio device similar to the one I linked, like this:

http://www.microcenter.com/byos/byos...duct_id=219349

in a USB enclosure. But the sales person informed me that it wouldn't work with the newer dual-core Macs.

Well upon further review, I don't have the exact box you first linked. I have this one... (sorry, this picture was similar...)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

but it's even less expensive at $39.99. It does work with both my dual G5 power mac, and my 15" MBP. Just goes to show even the manufacturers don't know everything. Or maybe they know, but don't want to support OSX for some reason. I think anything that works on a PPC should work on Intel, but then again that's where this thread started...

I don't have a MacPro yet, so can't say if it works on that hardware...
Greg Bellotte is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio