Mic useage? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 15th, 2006, 09:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Mic useage?

Can someone shed some light on how to use my mics on my A1? I am planning on getting the Sennheiser wireless package to go with my A1. The question I have is when using the little lavier mic or my NT3 with the wireless receiver on it, do I still use the boom mic on the camera also?
I am planning on upgrading the stock mic with either an NT1 or ME64 also. Are these pretty much the same type of mics and which one would be better? I think I read these are just for outdoor use?

Thanks.........JD
John Dombrowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2006, 01:13 AM   #2
New Boot

Generally you would leave the on-camera shotgun plugged into input 1, and the Sennheiser receiver plugged into input 2. You will then be recording the wireless mic on the right channel, and simultaneously the on-camera shotgun to the left channel as a good backup.

If you're getting the Sennheiser kit with the SKP-100 plug-on transmitter, then you'll want to get a mic like the NTG2 which has the option of self-powering. The wireless plug-on transmitter does not supply phantom power, so getting a self-powered mic gives you the option of using that nice shotgun on a boom pole or at least otherwise closer to your subject for better sound. If you're getting the cheaper kit without the plug-on transmitter then it doesn't matter as the A1 supplies phantom power. Both shotguns you mentioned seem pretty well received although I have no personal experience with either of them.
Sean Schult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2006, 03:12 AM   #3
Trustee

ME64 is not a shotgun but rather is a wide
cardioid, which is for indoor or outdoor.
NTG1 and NTG2 are for outdoor.
Dave Largent is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio