Anyone ever tried the Sennheiser ME62? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 21st, 2006, 02:30 AM   #16
Trustee

Chris, how are you using the NT3? On a boom for dialog?
How far off do you usually have it from the
person?
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2006, 02:38 AM   #17
Major Player

Yes, I normally have the NT3 on a boom pole (with suspension) as close as I can to the subject. Normally this is about 3-4 feet.
Chris Hocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2006, 02:40 AM   #18
Major Player

Also: If you haven't already, have a look at this site (DV eStore Theatre - Shotgun Shootout).
Chris Hocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2006, 02:58 AM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hocking
Yes, I normally have the NT3 on a boom pole (with suspension) as close as I can to the subject. Normally this is about 3-4 feet.
Does the 66 sound hollow indoors?
Old September 21st, 2006, 10:40 AM   #20
Regular Crew

My comment on the me 66 came from a conversation with one of the experts at senneheiser. It is not to say that it is not for out doors, but you do need to be careful in rain and high humidity, so for the typical go anywhere in anything eng type of application the pro's go for the mkh wich uses a different system and is relatively imune to humidity

Usually shotgun mics are not recommended for indoors, for just the type of sound hollowness people have reported.

Mics are like artists brushes, you select different ones based on how you want your sound "canvas" to be

Sharyn
Sharyn Ferrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2006, 01:21 PM   #21
Regular Crew

I put a good set of headphones on and compared all these and I really like the AT4073A. It seems to have the least static/humm/buzz than the rest. Any of you using this one?

But again, these are all tested indoors. Are there any outdoor tests available?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hocking
Also: If you haven't already, have a look at this site (DV eStore Theatre - Shotgun Shootout).
John Dombrowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2006, 02:03 PM   #22
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dombrowski
I put a good set of headphones on and compared all these and I really like the AT4073A. It seems to have the least static/humm/buzz than the rest. Any of you using this one?

But again, these are all tested indoors. Are there any outdoor tests available?

I'm using 4073a. Had been using it almost exclusively indoors
and was about ready to sell it because of the hollow sound.
I felt I was never able to get a decent sound out of it.
But then I used it outdoors and there is where it really
comes into its element. The reach outdoors was amazing
compared to other mic's I've used. I'm going to start to
use it again indoors to see if I feel any differently because
most of my work is indoors so the mic has just been sitting,
unused. Maybe if I get the mic closer to the subject
this time it'll work out better.
On the other hand, I do know a pro video guy who
does events and corporate and he doesn't find anything
wrong with that mic indoors.
Old September 21st, 2006, 02:41 PM   #23
Regular Crew

The sound on the shootout sounds very clean. Another question though. I already have the NT3 so how exactly do I use it? If I still get whichever shotgun, do I use both? The NT3 close to my subject and then just keep the shotgun on-camera? Still confused about all this stuff.

Thanks.....JD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Largent
I'm using 4073a. Had been using it almost exclusively indoors
and was about ready to sell it because of the hollow sound.
I felt I was never able to get a decent sound out of it.
But then I used it outdoors and there is where it really
comes into its element. The reach outdoors was amazing
compared to other mic's I've used. I'm going to start to
use it again indoors to see if I feel any differently because
most of my work is indoors so the mic has just been sitting,
unused. Maybe if I get the mic closer to the subject
this time it'll work out better.
On the other hand, I do know a pro video guy who
does events and corporate and he doesn't find anything
wrong with that mic indoors.
Old September 21st, 2006, 04:04 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Mic placement and putting acoustic absorption material a short distance behind the mic can make a difference indoors.
Sharyn
Sharyn Ferrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2006, 04:23 PM   #25
Trustee

John, why are you thinking of getting the ME64 for
indoors if you already have the NT3? For
most dialog work indoors I would think the
NT3 would be preferable over the 64.
Old September 21st, 2006, 04:37 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Please bear with me, I am new to all of this and that is what I am trying to figure out. I did not know if I need to use 2 mics being that the XLR adapter has 2 channels. So what you are saying is if I just use the NT3 around the subject this is all I need? Do I just connect it up to channel 1 on the XLR and the mic on the A1 will not pick up anything?

Another reason I got the NT3 was to use it wirelessly with the Senn wireless module but I still would like to get some sort of shot gun for situations when I can't use the NT3. Sorry for all the questions but it's just I have so much $ invested that I really want to learn how to setup and use this stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Largent
John, why are you thinking of getting the ME64 for
indoors if you already have the NT3? For
most dialog work indoors I would think the
NT3 would be preferable over the 64.
Old September 21st, 2006, 04:47 PM   #27
Trustee

The NT3 has a narrow pickup angle so you would
need to have the mic either be aimed at the
person if they are moving about or, if the mic
is on a boom stand, the subject needs to
stay in one place.
Old September 25th, 2006, 08:57 PM   #28
DVCreators.Net

Hi John,

I created the DVeStore Shotgun shootout to allow folks to listen to the capability of some of the more popular mics on the market. What I found personally is that a RODE NT3 works great indoors and no so great outdoors. The RODE NTG-2 shotgun is a mellow, natural sounding mic with low noise. I like it a lot, especially for the price. However, I still think the AT4073 would be my choice, but at double the cost, it's a tough call for anyone contemplating. You're getting 90% of the quality of the 4073A with the RODE, the question you need to ask yourself, "Is the extra 10% sound detail worth $300?" Note, you'll also need phantom power with the AT4073 which may bring your up another couple hundred if you need to buy an adapter. Besides if you answer yes, take a closer listen to the Sennheiser 416 and you're now at A list feature film level quality.

Besides the tighter pattern and off axis rejection, the benefit of a shotgun mic is that they are meant to be placed in shock absorbing suspension blimps and wrapped with a muff for wind protection outdoors on a boom. This can get pricey, however we're seeing K-TEK is coming out with a fantastic new Zeppelin/harry combo at a killer price. I'm testing it out right now. If you get a chance watch the video Sennheiser location sound package at http://dvgeartalk.com and see that set-up, the K-TEK should come in at less than half the price.

I'd say get the RODE NTG-2 and put the money you save towards wind protection, a boom pole and a book or DVD on how to capture great audio. Then just test, test, test and practice like hell with a pair of good cans on.

Good luck,
Old September 25th, 2006, 09:07 PM   #29
Trustee

Guy, what problem did you see outdoors with the
NT3?
Old September 25th, 2006, 11:52 PM   #30
DVCreators.Net

The RODE NT3 ships with a very light foam windscreen which is fine indoors with the typical low "draft" air movement of HVAC. Take it outside and all of the sudden the 3/4" pickups really are susceptible to wind noise. Rycote has the Baby Ballgag that might fit it, I haven't tried. If anyone has, please chime in. A high pass filter on the NT3 would be a nice addition to kill low end bass rumble. Still at $199 the NT3 has got to be the best bang for buck mic out there IMO.

Condenser mics such as these with larger diaphrams can also be easily damaged by outdoor elements such as high humidity and dust particles. They are meant for the studio. Shotguns are more rugged for outdoor use and can handle a bit of a beating. Heck some shotguns will even change sound characteristics depending on the temperature and humidity of the environment leading to inconsistent sound.

Because the NT3 is only $199 don't think of it as a disposible mic, use it where is was meant to be used, take care of it and it will last your lifetime - well at least 10 years - in fact RODE now has a 10 year guarantee http://www.rodemic.com/?pagename=Hom...202547bdfe4fbb

They're also coming out with some exciting new stuff that I wish I could talk about :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio