DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   I love Adobe Audition! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/75623-i-love-adobe-audition.html)

Chris Harris September 16th, 2006 09:25 AM

I love Adobe Audition!

They make it so easy for musically challenged guys like me to make decent sounding songs. It's awesome! I think it'll be so much more professional to make my own soundtracks. Anybody else have any experience with Audition?

Chris Barcellos September 16th, 2006 10:36 AM

I was looking for my copy the other day to reinstall on my system after a crash. I know it came with one of my Video bundles, but haven't tracked it yet. I trying to recall which version it came with . 6.0, 1.51 or 2.0.. Do you know ?

Chris Harris September 16th, 2006 10:52 AM

I don't know about the 6.0 or 1.5 bundles, but I got mine with the 2.0 bundle.

I think if more people knew about the Adobe Production Studio and what it could do, it could provide some real competition for FCP Studio.

Chris Barcellos September 16th, 2006 10:59 AM

By coincidence, I was digging around in my software boxes last night for mine copy. I was trying to do some "sound engineering" on a track. I recalled that Audition had some methods to isolate particular levels. I ended up downloading Audacity, the free program, but had some problems getting it to work decently...

See you are in my area.... What kind of video production are you interested in ?

William Gardner September 16th, 2006 02:24 PM

Hi,

I've used Audition for a few things:

1. For soundtrack creation using the Loopology loops. While the loops are a decent but basic set, you can do some decent stuff with them. 90% of the music in the following two films (for the DV Challenges hosted here on this site) was done using Audition with Looplogy loops.
http://www.wrgardner.com/film/LoveBites
http://www.wrgardner.com/film/SunBurns

2. For audio time-scaling without pitch shifting. Its algorithms are much cleaner than those used by PPro. For example, if I want to use some music but the song is 15% too long, I can scale it in Audition to the right length without affecting the pitch so it just sounds a little faster. I also used Audition for moving 25p recorded audio down to a 23.976p rate for a progressive DVD.

In the above mentioned films, if you listen closely you'll notice that the "theme music" changes with each scene. Sometimes different instruments are present (adding/subtracting Loopology loops) and sometimes its a little faster or slower (to match the length of the particular scene requiring the music).

Cheers,
Bill

Jacob Ehrichs September 16th, 2006 10:16 PM

I have it and love using it, but I'm still terrible with the interface and multitrack editing. The most I really really use it for is it's amazing noise reduction properties. I just recently figured out the little line adjustment box that helps you isolate specific frequencies to do more focused noise isolation. I absolutely love it for that. Someday I'll get into using it for real work. :)

Chris Harris September 17th, 2006 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos
By coincidence, I was digging around in my software boxes last night for mine copy. I was trying to do some "sound engineering" on a track. I recalled that Audition had some methods to isolate particular levels. I ended up downloading Audacity, the free program, but had some problems getting it to work decently...

See you are in my area.... What kind of video production are you interested in ?

Well, for now, I'm just producing segments for my high school's daily announcements. Soon though, I'm going to be working on a show on a public access channel, and I'm excited about that. We'll have to be more careful about copyright laws on public access as opposed to school broadcast annoucements, and if we could use Soundtrack Pro and Audition to make our own tracks, that'd be great. Ultimately, it's just a hobby for me, not a career goal, but you never know who may be watching and what could happen.

Steve House September 17th, 2006 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Harris
Well, for now, I'm just producing segments for my high school's daily announcements. Soon though, I'm going to be working on a show on a public access channel, and I'm excited about that. We'll have to be more careful about copyright laws on public access as opposed to school broadcast annoucements, and if we could use Soundtrack Pro and Audition to make our own tracks, that'd be great. Ultimately, it's just a hobby for me, not a career goal, but you never know who may be watching and what could happen.

For music track creation at low or no cost, check out SmartSound Sonicfire Pro and the new Sony Cinescore for music creation software. For an excellent library of licensable music at very reasonable fees, for some uses even free of charge, visit magnatunes.com

Bruce S. Yarock September 18th, 2006 09:50 PM

I was thinking about getting audition, mainly because my girlfriend edits in Premiere Pro 2 in one office, and I have my recording studio in the garage. Normaly she exports the audio tracks and I take them into Nuendo, and do everything there.I love Nuendo, and have been using it for years, but sometimes it would be eaier to stay on the same computer (at least for basic stuff).
I wonder how easy and powerfull Audition is...The Steinberg products (Cubase and Nuendo) have gotten easier and more powerfull as time has gone on.It's hard to imagine working in any other program. I have a friend who is an audio professor at Full Sail. His job is teaching protools,but he secretly hates it and does all his work in Nuendo and Wavelab.
Bruce S. Yarock
www.yarock.com

Chris Barcellos September 18th, 2006 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Harris

Yeah. I took some classes at there a couple of years back. Gave me a basic idea what goes on at studio.. Was a good experience...

Ben Winter September 19th, 2006 08:11 AM

I mix my band on Audition. Great workflow, great ease of use, but it was a lot better when it was Cool Edit Pro. I feel like one of the "old guys" who started out when CEP was even in its beta form.

Bill Mecca September 19th, 2006 09:17 AM

Ben,

what was better about it as Cool Edit (and which version)

I have it and use it for music (along with Sonar4, Wavelab4) and voice over.

but after using it for VO, I wound up going back to Wavelab for the last job, the editing function just seemed more "familair" for lack of a better term. And the one job I did on Audition, it kept getting funky with me. I would cut a clip out of a larger clip, and silence the head and tail, but at times on the tail it would take a syllable from the audio and put it at the very end. I'm thinking it was a temp folder issue, so I kept going in and cleaning that out and it settled down, but but it was a couple extra steps throughout the edit process at various times, whereas Wavelab handled it with ease.

Chris Barcellos September 19th, 2006 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Winter
I mix my band on Audition. Great workflow, great ease of use, but it was a lot better when it was Cool Edit Pro. I feel like one of the "old guys" who started out when CEP was even in its beta form.

Thanks Ben. Now this is making sense to me.. I thought I had Audition, but I now remember I downloaded a trial version a year or so back, thinking I wanted to buy it, and when I did, I realized it was the same as Cool Edit Pro... Boy, the things you forget sometime. So is there anything in the updated Audition 2.0 that I just have to have ?

Ralph Keyser September 19th, 2006 11:14 AM

I've been using it since it was Cool Edit too, but I think it's gotten better with time. The new 2.0 version has some neat features including new spectral displays, audible scrubbing of your audio, a nice new multi-band compressor, parameter automation so you can use a real, physical mixer control, and some changes to the interface to make it more like the other Adobe products in the production suite.
Most of my use has been soundtrack work for video production. I don't use it for music production, although I have used the looping features with good success. It's been great at fixing problem audio, and the 2.0 version has been a nice upgrade to a really good product.

Mark Morikawa September 25th, 2006 03:32 AM

is Audition good for eliminating unwanted background noise in audio tracks of video?