Basic wireless mic questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 22nd, 2006, 01:05 PM   #1
New Boot

Basic wireless mic questions

I am considering purchasing the Senn G-2 wireless, including the plug on transmitter. I have three basic questions. (If it matters, I own a Sony FX-1.)

1. I live in the Atlanta, GA area (and would mostly be filming in that area). How do I know what MHz version of the system to buy? Or, does it not make any difference.

2. I already own AT 822 and 897 mics (which are battery powered). Will these work with the plug on transmitter, which I think provides phantom power?

3. If I also acquired a beachtek adaptor, I assume I could run the Senn into one channel (using the lavalier mic) and the run the AT 822 or 897 into the other channel of the beachtek. Since the Senn is phantom powered (I believe) along with the AT 833 and 897, is there a need for phantom power with the Beachtek.

Thanks for the help.

-- Keith
Keith McLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2006, 01:22 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith McLeod
2. I already own AT 822 and 897 mics (which are battery powered). Will these work with the plug on transmitter, which I think provides phantom power?
THe SKP100 plugon does not provide phantom power (its included with the ew100 kit). Sennheiser DO make a plugon that provides phantom and thats the SKP500.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2006, 01:53 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Stu:

I'm still a little confused. Although the SKP100 plugon is not phantom powered, I assume that I can use it with a battery powered condenser microphone, like the AT 822 or 897, since the mic itself is providing the power? Or, do I have this all wrong?

Thanks.

-- Keith
Keith McLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2006, 02:33 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith McLeod
Thanks Stu:

I'm still a little confused. Although the SKP100 plugon is not phantom powered, I assume that I can use it with a battery powered condenser microphone, like the AT 822 or 897, since the mic itself is providing the power? Or, do I have this all wrong?

Thanks.

-- Keith
You can use the SKP100 with either dynamic or self-powered condenser mics just fine. To get maximum flexibility, the SKP500 transmitter can be used with the same mics as the -100 and will also provide phantom to mics that require it, and it's compatbile with the same receivers. About $200 difference in price between the SKP100 and the SKP500.
Old September 22nd, 2006, 04:01 PM   #5
Trustee

A note about the AT822. That mic's 3-pin XLR connector carries the left and right output of the stereo mic unbalanced on pin 2 and pin 3, both positive. You can't use it directly connected to the balanced plug-on transmitter without getting phase cancellation.
You could make an adapter that would send pin 2 and pin 1 from the mic into the transmitter, and then just use the Left capsule of the mic.
The same would be true when attempting to use an XLR input of a BeachTek adapter. It would be kind of silly to use the AT822 with a BeachTek since it can't directly work with either the XLR or unbalanced Aux jacks without an additional adapter.
And you can't use the AT822 directly with phantom power.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2006, 04:09 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Massengill
A note about the AT822. ....
Good catch!
Old September 29th, 2006, 04:04 PM   #7
Regular Crew

You could, however, use the 897 and the G2 receiver with the Beach - that's what I'm doing (tram lav on the G2) - I set sensitivity on the Beach near max for the 897, then match it (headphones off camera) with the level setting on the G2 receiver for the other channel. Works fine... Steve
Steve Leverich is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio