Dead right channel on Sennheiser ew100 lav at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 25th, 2006, 09:32 PM   #1
New Boot

Dead right channel on Sennheiser ew100 lav

I just bought a used set of Sennheiser ew100 g2s. Didn't come with the CL 1 mini jack and I don't have an XLR adapter on my GL2. I went to radio shack and picked up a standard stereo mini jack. Everything sounds great on the left channel. The right channel is a flat line. Checked and adjusted all the audio settings on my camera. Am I doing something wrong or did the kid in Miami rip me off?
Matt Hiebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2006, 10:11 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Is it a stereo mic ?
Old September 25th, 2006, 10:15 PM   #3
Wrangler

Most probably, it is just a matter of the mini-jack cable not seating properly into the receiver. The CL1 has a knurled screw-fastener just like the ME2 microphone's fastener, so even though it is a 3.5mm diameter jack, the fitting is designed to cause the CL1 to sit a bit shallower into the receptacle than a regular male stereo mini-jack does. I think there's a special name for that fitting, but it escapes my memory right now.

Try pulling your mini-jack just a little bit out and see if both channels register on your camera; if you're able to do that even momentarily, it'll confirm it is only the connection and you just need to get hold of a CL1 or similar screw-on cable:

http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser...lutionwireless

Pending getting a Senn CL1 cable or similar that fits correctly, you're really not losing anything as the lav system's output is mono. You can just copy the left channel to the right in your NLE or audio application.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2006, 01:23 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi Matt,

I don't think your wireless has a problem, its just a matter of the connection to your camera.

The output jack on the EK100G2 is unbalanced, and will only send signal to the tip and shield of a stereo mini plug. This will only appear as a left channel signal to your camera with the stereo input. The right channel would be wired to the ring and sleeve of this connector.

Get yourself a cable that has a mono mini on one end, wired to feed mono to both channels (tip and ring) of a stereo mini on the other end. Or you can use a stereo to mono miniplug adapter with the stereo mini cable you are usuing now.
Greg Bellotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2006, 02:25 AM   #5
Major Player

Hi there

The wireless Senny's are mono mics...the only way I can see you getting the audio on both channels on your camera if it doesn't have XLR's is with a Beachtek or similar...

or easier still just 'fill' the missing channel in post..

I generally always feed my audio into separate channels, doubling and mixing is easy in say Premiere, and gives you far more flexibility for setting the correct audio level... especially if you hafve two mics...

cheers
Gareth
Gareth Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2006, 08:45 AM   #6
Wrangler

The CL1 sends the mono signal out to both the L and R channels.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2006, 06:09 AM   #7
New Boot

Thank you guys

Trip to the local Sennheiser dealer took care of it. Bad cable. $30 bucks for a new one. By the way these mics are incredible for the price. Going from a shotgun to a lav stunned me. And no clothing noise out of six separate interviews. I don't how they even do that.
Matt Hiebert is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio