DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Wireless Mic 2 sources (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/76419-wireless-mic-2-sources.html)

Pete Cofrancesco September 28th, 2006 09:35 PM

Wireless Mic 2 sources

Can you record 2 sources to one wireless receiver?

For example if you wanted to film a person interviewing someone and you set each up with a wireless lav mic, would you need two separate receivers? btw, I'm using an Audio-technica, not sure of the model number.

Seth Bloombaum September 28th, 2006 10:07 PM

2 transmitters - 2 receivers.

Except for some odd-duck dual receivers.

Pete Cofrancesco September 28th, 2006 10:36 PM

A friend of mine must have one that does dual channels. Because he was explaining to me how he sets up and I was planning on emulating it. I didn't make the connection that dual channel isn't a standard feature and that my wireless system while more expensive can only do one channel. When I was purchasing this system I didn't know what features that I was going to need down the road.

Don Donatello September 28th, 2006 10:39 PM

seems if you are using 2 wireless that you can set to the same channel-
IE: you have 2 audio technica 100 wireless ... you set each transmitter to channel 50 .. you then set ONE receiver to channel 50 and you should pick up both mic's .. you'll have much more control over each person with their own system - 2 transmitters/2receivers ...

i have never done that but have used 1 transmitter with 3 receivers - for run-gun =directors & producer want to hear audio

Douglas Spotted Eagle September 28th, 2006 10:53 PM

You can't get one receiver to share multiple transmitters with any degree of confidence. You *can* get numerous receivers to receive one transmitter.
Try going the other way. Experiment around the room. You'll likely eventually lose one or the other.

Steve House September 29th, 2006 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Donatello
seems if you are using 2 wireless that you can set to the same channel-
IE: you have 2 audio technica 100 wireless ... you set each transmitter to channel 50 .. you then set ONE receiver to channel 50 and you should pick up both mic's .. you'll have much more control over each person with their own system - 2 transmitters/2receivers ...

i have never done that but have used 1 transmitter with 3 receivers - for run-gun =directors & producer want to hear audio

One transmitter to multiple receivers is fine - that's what every broadcast station on the planet does - but it don't work the other way around. Two transmitters located close together and operating on the same frequency will interfere with one another. The carrier frequencies can beat with one another with unpredictable effects. In addition, FM-based receivers will "capture" one transmitter out of a group on the same frequency and ignore the others. But which one it captures depends on which one is strongest at the moment - as a result, you'll have your wireless transmitters appearing to cut in and out randomly depending on which one's carrier the receiver has captured right then. But you won't hear both at once.

Pete Cofrancesco September 29th, 2006 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve House
One transmitter to multiple receivers is fine - that's what every broadcast station on the planet does - but it don't work the other way around. Two transmitters located close together and operating on the same frequency will interfere with one another. The carrier frequencies can beat with one another with unpredictable effects. In addition, FM-based receivers will "capture" one transmitter out of a group on the same frequency and ignore the others. But which one it captures depends on which one is strongest at the moment - as a result, you'll have your wireless transmitters appearing to cut in and out randomly depending on which one's carrier the receiver has captured right then. But you won't hear both at once.

you are correct I ran a test shortly after I posted and the two transmitters interfer with each other when close or the receiver only picks up the stronger of the two signals when placed at a distance.

The work around I'm going to use for now is I will use a wired lav for one person and the wireless for the other.

Steve House September 29th, 2006 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Cofran
you are correct I ran a test shortly after I posted and the two transmitters interfer with each other when close or the receiver only picks up the stronger of the two signals when placed at a distance.

The work around I'm going to use for now is I will use a wired lav for one person and the wireless for the other.

If you can do it, use wired for both.

As the adage says "When you're able, use a cable!"