2 Camera Man Communications Setup - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 17th, 2007, 11:43 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kimmell View Post
I... I'm already planning on buying different headsets. Specifically the Ultra doubles for the pit/stage shooters and the Ultra singles for the front of house and field ops...
Why not Eartec's Max or XTreme? They seem to be the headsets designed for high noise environments. Each has a noise cancelling mic as well as sealing over-the-ear cups.

Why wouldn't all your crew want doubles? They can get in the way of a shoulder mounted cam, is this the issue?

Do bear in mind that the Eartec 900 series are full duplex only for two open mics at a time. Usually this means the director has their mic on all the time, an individual crew member only switches on his/her mic when they need to speak.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 01:00 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Bloombaum View Post
Why not Eartec's Max or XTreme? They seem to be the headsets designed for high noise environments. Each has a noise cancelling mic as well as sealing over-the-ear cups.

Why wouldn't all your crew want doubles? They can get in the way of a shoulder mounted cam, is this the issue?

Do bear in mind that the Eartec 900 series are full duplex only for two open mics at a time. Usually this means the director has their mic on all the time, an individual crew member only switches on his/her mic when they need to speak.
I talked to another guy who is using the ultra line in high noise situations and he says that they are adequate. Add to that the fact that the sales rep has no problem giving us a 30-day return during which time we can trade up and get the full value of the headsets we buy. I'd rather start with the ultras and try them out over Mem. Day weekend and have the option to trade up.

As for Push-to-talk.... are you saying that the standard setup allows for the mic to be muted without the need for PTT?
Kevin Kimmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 01:08 PM   #18
Trustee

When my dad and I do weddings, we have hand signals worked out for coverage. Can't talk into a microphone during the ceremony...don't know what your specific application is, but it works well for us. Of course, we'd love to use headset walkie-talkies...but can't make the noise during the ceremonies :(
Old May 17th, 2007, 02:01 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kimmell View Post
...As for Push-to-talk.... are you saying that the standard setup allows for the mic to be muted without the need for PTT?
Yes, there is a locking push-button switch on the top of the Eartec 900 for mic on/off, almost PTT but not quite, because it locks. Eartec's docs call the modes "Talk" and "Standby".
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 02:54 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole McDonald View Post
When my dad and I do weddings, we have hand signals worked out for coverage. Can't talk into a microphone during the ceremony...don't know what your specific application is, but it works well for us. Of course, we'd love to use headset walkie-talkies...but can't make the noise during the ceremonies :(
thats cool.

btw, when i'm doing a performance, i need my ears to monitor the audio. i couldn't see myself wanting to chat with another camera man. i would go over the game plan before to decide who's going to do the long, medium, and close-up shots.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 03:36 PM   #21
Trustee

yeah, but stuff comes up...the bridesmaid will take step back and cover a shot...we have to let the other know that we need to switch angles as we've lost coverage or whatever. We used to wear WT's and click the talk button 3 times to signal for attention to a hand signal...but we ended up just looking over at one another alot if we had to switch angles, so the headsets went away.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio