DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Oktava boom (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/76993-oktava-boom.html)

Rich Hibner October 6th, 2006 04:56 PM

Oktava boom

Can you mount an Oktava mic to a boom pole?

-Rh

Seth Bloombaum October 6th, 2006 05:16 PM

Yes.

Most commonly, this would be an MK 012 with a hypercardoid capsule. The cardoid capsule is not very directional, I think it would be better to call it a sub-cardoid.

For indoor use a foam windscreen is usually enough to deal with the slight breeze created by moving the boom. Be aware that this mic is very sensitive to breeze.

A shock-mount is also considered "standard" for boom usage.

Dave Largent October 6th, 2006 08:38 PM

Have you used all three Oktava 012 capsules, Seth?

Rich Hibner October 6th, 2006 11:55 PM

great information. What exactly does the "shockmount" do for mics? just redirect any movement so it's not picked up by the mic?

-Rh

Bruce S. Yarock October 7th, 2006 02:10 AM

Seth,
Do you ahev a link for the indoor windscreen?
thanks
Bruce S. Yarock
www.yarock.com

Jarrod Whaley October 7th, 2006 12:29 PM

Rich--

Shock mounts reduce handling noise (such as fingers moving against the pole) by suspending the mic in "mid-air," usually with rubber bands. Such noise can be substantial when using a boom, especially if your operator is turning/moving the pole to aim it at the talent as they speak. As stated above, the MK012 is especially susceptible to handling noise. A shock mount should be viewed as an absolute necessity for boom mounting (or even any mounting situation where the mic has even a slight chance of being used in motion) with any mic, but especially so with the Oktava.

Seth Bloombaum October 7th, 2006 11:23 PM

Usually I'm more responsive - been briefly out of town.

I've only used the cardoid capsule with this mic, mostly for music recording. The MK-012 is a good general-purpose small-diaphram condensor microphone. I've applied some eq in post and been very happy.

I can confirm that the cardoid is more of a sub-cardoid pattern from my own experience. I've heard good things about the hypercardoid cap for boom work.

I am not aware of any forum sponsors who sell the Oktava line of microphones. sound-room.com seems to have the biggest selection of Oktava microphones & accessories, including shock mounts and foam wind screens.

bhphotovideo.com is a forum sponsor, they stock generic shock mounts and blimp-style wind screens & fur that would be better if you are planning on exterior scenes in any sort of weather.

Rich Hibner October 8th, 2006 09:04 AM

Is there a difference in the Oktava Mk012-01 than the MK012?

Seth Bloombaum October 8th, 2006 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Hibner
Is there a difference in the Oktava Mk012-01 than the MK012?

Anybody considering Oktava microphones should check out the sticky thread in this forum that talks about chinese-manufactured Oktava. Ya'll want the russian-manufactured version.

Having said that, I'm not aware of any significant difference between MC-012, MK-012, and MK-012-01.

Rich Hibner October 8th, 2006 10:58 PM

I'm aware of the sticky. Checked it first. That's why I asked about the 012-01. Saw a few on ebay and wanted to know if there were a difference between the two. Is there a clear mark to distinguish the two apart, the chinese made and the russian made?

edit: nevermind found a link.