bird bed at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 20th, 2006, 12:31 AM   #1
Slash Rules!

bird bed

Here's a new one:

I want to have, kinda throughout a whole scene, the sound of birds chirping, as if outside someone's room (scene takes place in a bedroom, supposed to be a dream, birds are for happy cheerful ambience). I can find individual bird sounds, but is there a trick to layering them together? It sounds stupid, but it's harder than you might think to make it sound "right". I tried this before and gave up early on 'cause it didn't sound quite right, and I was in a hurry.

Any tips?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 12:13 PM   #2
DVCreators.Net

Not sure if this will help, but recently I had a customer buy a pretty "high-end" mic. A Sennheiser MKH-30 (figure 8 pattern). I asked what he was going to be recording and he said, "Nature sounds." So we got to talking and he turned me on to this http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/geotagsView.php
Pretty dang cool. You should be able to find some bird sounds in there. The really cool part is that you can see where in the world the sound was recorded using Google Earth. Most of the folks also mention what equipment they used to record with.
Old October 20th, 2006, 12:42 PM   #3
Slash Rules!

Thanks.

Actually, it wasn't the sounds so much I was having issues with, as it was the technique for layering/mixing them together to have it sound real and natural. What I mean is, how far apart should chirps be, that kinda thing.
Old October 21st, 2006, 10:08 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I would use 1 audiotrack per bird (and probably not more than 2 or 3 if it's just going to be in the background). Pan them differently, probably not hard stereo, maybe 25%R, 20%L, 75%L. I think it would sound best with about 1.5-2.5 seconds of silence in between chirps, puncutated by short bursts of 3-4 chirps at a time. Ideally you would have 8 or more samples to work with for variety, especially if you want more than 3 birds.
Abe Dolinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2006, 12:10 PM   #5
Slash Rules!

Thanks.

Would you still recommend the panning even if everything else in the project is equally stereo'd?
Old October 21st, 2006, 01:42 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Now that I read your post again I would probably pan them at a tighter range because they're supposed to be coming in through a window. I wouldn't put them all at the same spot, but within maybe 20% of each other.
Abe Dolinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2006, 04:36 PM   #7
Slash Rules!

Even given that nothing else in the project is panned a certain way?
Old October 23rd, 2006, 02:59 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bass
Even given that nothing else in the project is panned a certain way?
That would make it more or less a mono soundtrack (unless you recorded using a stereo mic or matched pairs or something), so I fail to see any reason why panning the bird songs would be necessary in this particular case.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 04:12 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Remember too that a substantial number of your viewers won't be hearing it in stereo anyway. Even if you provide the track in stereo, it will often get collapsed to mono somewhere along the way. Even if it stays in stereo all the way to the viewer, a good number of viewers will be watching on TVs with built-in speakers that are on either side of the front panel or the sides of the case, far too close together to produce any signifigant stereo imaging.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 08:06 AM   #10
Slash Rules!

Yeah, and I'm not quite dedicated enough to get that anal with the sound.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio