Cleaning a mic after battery leak at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 17th, 2003, 03:18 AM   #1
Trustee

Cleaning a mic after battery leak

Opened my Me66 just now and noticed that the damned battery that I'd had in there has leaked or oxidised or someting, in the K6 attachment.

Does anyone know if there's some proper stuff you can use to clean it?

Cheers
Aaron
Aaron Koolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2003, 10:30 AM   #2
Warden

There is a contact and corrosion cleaner. It's a liquid or a spray. Either an electronics supply house or an automotive supply house should have it. Radio Shack even has it, but it is very expensive from them. Do not spray directly onto the effected parts. Spray onto a Q-Tip and wipe the surface until the corrosion is gone. The metal will be pitted from the corrosion. Don't worry about the appearance, it's just the way it is.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2003, 12:00 PM   #3
Wrangler

One of the reasons to spray the cleaner on Q-tip is that you do not want the solvent to touch other parts. Those solvents can damage plastic parts.

Your may still need to some form of abrasive cleaning to clean the contacts after that. You may want to 'float' some solder in the contacts to provide some extra protection. Use some magnifying glasses and lots of light to ensure everything is really clean.

Finally, it is a good idea to remove batteries from the gear to prevent this from happening in the future.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2003, 01:55 PM   #4
Trustee

Nathan, YUP. That's a mistake I will NEVER make again ;)

Thanks guys, will look out for some of that stuff. The mic still works luckily cause I need it today for a shoot.

Cheers
Aaron
Aaron Koolen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio