DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Any updated opinions on Rode NTG 1 or 2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/78050-any-updated-opinions-rode-ntg-1-2-a.html)

Joe Carney October 23rd, 2006 09:25 AM

Any updated opinions on Rode NTG 1 or 2

I searched and found several people purchasing and planning on using these shotgun mics So... after a couple of years or couple of months, any new opinions on them good or not good? I"ve put together a package at B&H but would like to get some long term user reports before buying.

Arthur Lemoine October 23rd, 2006 09:34 AM

+1

I'm also searching some opinions about these mics...
Comments from pd-100 or pdx-10 users are welcome !

++

Joe Carney October 24th, 2006 09:09 AM

No answers, does not bode well. I'm primarily interested in durability in a rough and tumble field environment.

Steve House October 24th, 2006 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Carney
No answers, does not bode well. I'm primarily interested in durability in a rough and tumble field environment.

I've heard good things about both but haven't personally used them. Fellow forum member Ty Ford has some reviews on his web site.

Michael Fossenkemper October 24th, 2006 09:43 AM

I have the NTG-2. I think it's great. No issues. throw it in a bag, pull it out, works. built nice, phantom or battery powered, phantom powered sounds better to me. Sounds great.

Christian Magnussen October 24th, 2006 07:56 PM

I've been using the NTG-2 with my dvc30 for about six months, so far so good. Usage is primarely outdoors, either event actionsport or run'n gun ENG use. About the quality, both I and the Tv/webtv where i delivered clips lately were surprised(to say the least) of how well it performs. The build quality is also good, and I'm looking forward to the winter to see how much wear and tear it can take.Take the price into consideration and there arn't many comptetitors left, only Audio Technica as far as I remember has any mic's in the same price range.

No, it's not a Schoeps, Nuemann or Sennheiser mkh...but thats 1k + USD mics, not the more student friendly 250-300$ i paid for the NTG-2.

Joe Carney October 24th, 2006 11:36 PM

Thanks, before I purchase I wanted to get info about build quality.

Chris Stearns October 25th, 2006 02:07 AM

I use the NTG-2 with my dvx100b and it is solid and sounds great. I purchased a kit from B&H for around $250 US. It came with a shockmount, case, foam windscreen, a 1ft right-angle cable, and a Rode Deadcat. As far as build quality goes, it's tough and looks like it could take a beating (or give one, for that matter). I don't think that you would be dissapointed with this mic.

Steve House October 25th, 2006 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Carney
Thanks, before I purchase I wanted to get info about build quality.

I don't have an NTG but I do have a Rode NT1a studio mic and it's build quality is first rate. Solid performer.

Christian Magnussen October 25th, 2006 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Stearns
it's tough and looks like it could take a beating(or give one, for that matter)

Maybe thats way Airport security wondered what the H*** I had in my handluggage:)

Compared to the sennheiser K6+Me66 it's at least as good when we talk about the build quality, if not better, thats the impression i have so far.

The setup i've used a few times with the Rycote softie and rode shockmount.
http://www.chma.net/pana2.JPG

Michael Rowe October 25th, 2006 12:01 PM

add'l questions re NTG-2

Christian, Michael and others,

Can any one of you comment on how well your NTG-2 has worked for you in an indoor music environment? I was getting ready to pull the trigger on a Rode NT-3 primarily because of its hyper-cardioid pick up pattern (better for live music I'm assuming?) not to mention its nice price and battery option.

Secondly, I have a DVC30 as well but without the XLR mic adapter. When you say the NTG-2 performs better w/phantom vs battery, how much better? Of minor significance? Like night & day? I'm just trying to get an idea of how decent a recording I can get using the NTG-2 with battery only.

Thanks for any input~

Mike

Steve House October 25th, 2006 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Rowe

Can any one of you comment on how well your NTG-2 has worked for you in an indoor music environment? I was getting ready to pull the trigger on a Rode NT-3 primarily because of its hyper-cardioid pick up pattern (better for live music I'm assuming?) not to mention its nice price and battery option.

Secondly, I have a DVC30 as well but without the XLR mic adapter. When you say the NTG-2 performs better w/phantom vs battery, how much better? Major or minor significance? Like night & day? I'm just trying to get an idea of how decent a recording I can get using the NTG-2 with battery only.

Thanks for any input~

Mike

For music recording, IMO both the shotgun and the hyper are likely to have too narrow a pickup pattern to give good results. Those mics have a 15-25 degree angle of acceptance while for most stage settings you'll need more like 90-120 degrees or more to cover the entire stage. Of course it depends on the type of performance. If you were, say, shooting a solo acoustic guitar and you couldn't close-mic it then a mic with a narrow pickup pattern at the edge of the stage might work. But if it's an ensemble, band, or larger group, you need to cover a much wider area. A shotgun or hyper would pick up the one musician exactly where it was pointed but the rest of the group would be way down.

Michael Fossenkemper October 25th, 2006 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Rowe

Secondly, I have a DVC30 as well but without the XLR mic adapter. When you say the NTG-2 performs better w/phantom vs battery, how much better? Of minor significance? Like night & day? I'm just trying to get an idea of how decent a recording I can get using the NTG-2 with battery only.

Thanks for any input~

Mike

this mic would be horrible for indoor music IMO. Like it was said, the pickup pattern is too narrow. also can't handle the spl's of a PA system of say a rock band. i picked up a couple of church audio omni mics to record indoor music and they work nice for this. The shotgun for other stuff.

with the DVC30, the NTG-2 is a long mic, you might have issues of the mic peeking into the frame if you mount it on your camera. Unless you push it way back, but if you don't have the xlr adapter, then you're going to need the transformer adapter like what Sure makes to stick on the end of the mic and now it's really long. poke you in the eye long. I had that setup on my DVC30 and it sucked, not sound wise but setup wise. Finally went with the xlr adapter.

It's noticeable more in the dynamic range of the mic running on battery vs phantom, not to mention there is no power switch on the mic, so if you run it off a battery, you've got to take it out when you're done or you'll just need to carry a lot of batteries around.

build quality and sound quality are great. couldn't find anything else that came close in the price range.

Michael Rowe October 25th, 2006 05:20 PM

Thanks Steve & Michael for the replies. While it still sounds like a great mic, it (and the NT-3) may not be what I'm looking for.

I've read some good reviews here from folks using a pair of AT3031's for music, so I'm now leaning more toward those along with the Panny XLR box which I'm sure I will have to spring for eventually. How to mount them (3031's) is another story of course and OT on this thread, but if there's anyone out there who uses these AT's and would care to share your experience with them feel free to PM me.

Thanks again guys for helping me narrow my choices.

~Mike

Dave Largent October 25th, 2006 06:09 PM

You want to mount a pair of 3031s on your
camera?