iRiver hum at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 25th, 2006, 07:43 AM   #1
Regular Crew

iRiver hum

This weekend I shot a landscape seminar using a Sony lav (borrowed, don't know the model) connected to my new iRiver 895. A few quick tests before the shoot showed good pickup with nice tone, but it also recorded a constant hum heard when played back from the iRiver. Is this normal? Audio record level for the external mic was 50, but I also tried 45 and 55.

If it is normal, any suggestions to get rid of it? Preferably suggestions that don't require I spend more $$$ at this point. If it isn't normal I guess I should contact iRiver for warrenty work.
Bill Flowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 10:57 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I just got an 895, and in my first tests used the cheap lav that came with my Sony transmitter package. It is a mono mic. I did left 895 in stereo format for recording, because I had read somewhere that was thing to do unless you got the Giant Squids. It worked fine, though only had one side recorded on the stereo track. Thats easily fixed in post. No humm or buzz. If you were recording in mono, try switching to stereo...
Old October 25th, 2006, 02:26 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Flowers
This weekend I shot a landscape seminar using a Sony lav (borrowed, don't know the model) connected to my new iRiver 895. A few quick tests before the shoot showed good pickup with nice tone, but it also recorded a constant hum heard when played back from the iRiver. Is this normal? Audio record level for the external mic was 50, but I also tried 45 and 55.

If it is normal, any suggestions to get rid of it? Preferably suggestions that don't require I spend more $$$ at this point. If it isn't normal I guess I should contact iRiver for warrenty work.
I wouldn't expect hum to creep in with battery powered equipment like that. Could it be interference from something in the environment at that particular venue? When you say you used a "lav" you are talking about just the mic and not a wireless rig, right?
Old October 26th, 2006, 10:33 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Just a lav mic, not a wireless rig. The test was done in my dining room with nothing in the room turned on.

I just remembered that my iRiver is still in my bag along with my Sony MDR-7506 headphones, so I'm fast-frwarding through the video track I recorded in the middle of Sunken Gardens on Sunday (96 minutes) and it sounds great!

Must have been something in the environment, but darned if I know what.
Bill Flowers is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio