Lav rustle at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 27th, 2006, 09:13 AM   #1
Major Player

Lav rustle

I've been using the Sony ECM-44B as well as the Countryman B6 and also the COS-11 for interviews. Both the COS-11 and the Countryman are susceptible to rustle problems with clothes (and subjects who won't sit still!). It's not the mic itself which I mount in plain view, but the cable from the mic to the XLR cable. The Sony doesn't have that problem, but I prefer the sound of the other mics. Does anyone have any ideas of how to tackle this? Some sort of cloth covering? Thanks.
Old October 27th, 2006, 10:17 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Parker
I've been using the Sony ECM-44B as well as the Countryman B6 and also the COS-11 for interviews. Both the COS-11 and the Countryman are susceptible to rustle problems with clothes (and subjects who won't sit still!). It's not the mic itself which I mount in plain view, but the cable from the mic to the XLR cable. The Sony doesn't have that problem, but I prefer the sound of the other mics. Does anyone have any ideas of how to tackle this? Some sort of cloth covering? Thanks.
First of all, are you mounting the lav with a strain relief loop in the cable at the microphone clip, the so-called "broadcast loop" you see on lavs on TV shows like Judge Judy or other shows where you can see the mics?
Old October 27th, 2006, 10:49 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Yup, broadcast loop is excellent for cord noise. Moleskin is good to prevent actual mic friction noise.

And a baseball bat for when they move one too many times....
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2006, 11:03 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Alvarez
Yup, broadcast loop is excellent for cord noise. Moleskin is good to prevent actual mic friction noise.

And a baseball bat for when they move one too many times....
And I forgot to mention, gaffers tape to secure the cable to fabric or surgical tape to fasten it to skin.

Rycote Stickies and Undercovers can also help
Old October 27th, 2006, 12:16 PM   #5
Major Player

Wow. The broadcast loop works beautifully, although I don't know why. I don't suppose it matters. I can't figure out how to do it w/ the B6 because my clip doesn't have the hoop thing. I'll check their web site for another clip.

I hadn't thought of a baseball bat ... untill now.

Thanks.
Old October 27th, 2006, 01:02 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Parker
Wow. The broadcast loop works beautifully, although I don't know why. I don't suppose it matters. I can't figure out how to do it w/ the B6 because my clip doesn't have the hoop thing. I'll check their web site for another clip.

I hadn't thought of a baseball bat ... untill now.

Thanks.
Make a loop in the cable about 1" in diameter just below the mic capsule. Secure it with a knotted thread with a longish piece hanging free. Take the free part of thread and thread it into a needle, then take a stitch or two to secure it to the fabric just below where the mic capsule is pinned. Ideally the capsule is on the edge of a fold so you can secure the loop in the cable on the underside of the fabric beh=ind the mic out of sight.
Old October 27th, 2006, 02:09 PM   #7
Trustee

In addition to the loop, especially if the subject's clothing is very thin material, I use a small backer to help keep the mic still in relation to the clothing.
The thin neutral-colored cardboard on the back of a notepad works well for this. Cut out a piece about 1 inch square. Then nip off all four corners. The corners can stick the subject, as well as generate their own noise against the clothing and the backer will be less likely to show through the fabric without sharp corners, so it's an important step.

From the outside to the inside you'll have:
the mic
the mic clip
the fabric
a loop of gaffer's tape a little smaller than the cardboard
the cardboard
a smaller loop of gaffer's tape
the jaw of the mic clip

You can also secure part of the loop of cable in or under the smaller loop of gaffer's tape and the jaw of the mic clip. Just don't let the jaw cut into the cable if it's sharp.
As long as the rest of the cable also has some slack in it, then the mic will ride with the clothing and the subject can move without causing too much noise and you don't actually have to stick anything to the subject's skin.
The kit that comes with the AT899 lav has a magnetic clip which works in a similar manner.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2006, 02:13 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Massengill
In addition to the loop, especially if the subject's clothing is very thin material, I use a small backer to help keep the mic still in relation to the clothing.
The thin neutral-colored cardboard on the back of a notepad works well for this. Cut out a piece about 1 inch square. Then nip off all four corners. The corners can stick the subject, as well as generate their own noise against the clothing and the backer will be less likely to show through the fabric without sharp corners, so it's an important step.

From the outside to the inside you'll have:
the mic
the mic clip
the fabric
a loop of gaffer's tape a little smaller than the cardboard
the cardboard
a smaller loop of gaffer's tape
the jaw of the mic clip

You can also secure part of the loop of cable in or under the smaller loop of gaffer's tape and the jaw of the mic clip. Just don't let the jaw cut into the cable if it's sharp.
As long as the rest of the cable also has some slack in it, then the mic will ride with the clothing and the subject can move without causing too much noise and you don't actually have to stick anything to the subject's skin.
The kit that comes with the AT899 lav has a magnetic clip which works in a similar manner.
You wouldn't be able to post a picture would you?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio