DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Sound levels too high! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/80285-sound-levels-too-high.html)

Dan Burnap November 24th, 2006 05:34 AM

Sound levels too high!

I filmed the a studio practise session of a band with my DVC30 and Rode VM. Even with the input level at minimum the sound was distorted and clipped due to it being too high. Tonight I am recording the bands gig. Will it help if I wrap something around my shotgun mic to further insulate it? At the moment it just has the foam cover thingy. Any fast replies appreciated!

Thanks

Also, can anyone recommend the mic input level for an Iriver IFP placed next to the bands drums?

Thanks again!

Bob Grant November 24th, 2006 06:55 AM

Wrapping something around the mic might reduce the level but it'll almost certainly kill the high frequencies as well.
Hard to know just how many things are going wrong here, quite likely the mic itself is being overloaded.

Daniel Epstein November 24th, 2006 10:13 AM

There are two issues which you have to figure out. Is the mic being overpowered by the sound in the room or is the camera input being overpowered by the volume of the mic.
If the mic can't handle the volume then you probably want to change to a less sensitive mic. Some shotguns have switchable built in pads which can help in loud situations. Dynamic mics are less sensitive and might give you a cleaner recording than a shotgun which is being overpowered.
The other issue is how much the input on the camera can handle. If the mic is putting out a hot mic level signal the input could be overloaded at the camera. Some of the Panasonics have a sensitivity setting for the input level in the menu. You could also use an in line pad to knock down the level 15 DB to 25 DB and see if the cameras input can deal with the level. This could cause problems with phantom power so you might need to power the mic independently of the camera phantom.

Bill Ravens November 24th, 2006 11:20 AM

i've run into this problem everytime the band gives me a patch to the "record out" on their mixer board. this isa hot signal with no gain adjustment. my solution was to put a compressor/brick wall limiter in the line into my audio recorder. Really sweetens the recorded sound and solves the problem.

David Ennis November 24th, 2006 11:25 AM

My bet is that the VM is handling the sound levels alright, but that the signal it puts out is clipping at the cam's input. As the others have implied, setting the cam's recording levels doesn't prevent this. However, if the cam has a Mic Attenuation option in the menu that will help. It's usually a -20 dB cut. Turning Mic Attenuation on, if it wasn't on before, should get you through the performance. Then you owe it to yourself to learn a bit more about level setting.