Anyone ever used this mixer??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 27th, 2006, 08:29 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Anyone ever used this mixer???

I picked up a really old SQN-3 mixer that seems to work fine. I was told that SQN was the first to make what we know as a field mixer many years ago. I don't think these are very common in the states; the company is located on the Isle of Man in the UK. I'm wondering if i've purchased a good mixer here to use with my XL2 cam, MKH416 and Rode NT3. Anyone heard anything about this mixer. I do know they are very expensive. I paid over 8 hundred bucks for mine on ebay and later found out it was 25yo from a guy at the company. I suppose i should have did a bit more research before dishing out this much; however i do remember reading some good things about it somewhere.
Jim Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2006, 11:45 PM   #2
Major Player

Apparently it was (is?) the industry standard in field mixers in Australia (and I once heard, the UK). I've only used one once (from a hire company), and it was great. Solid, good controls, sounded fantastic, no complaints. I'm surprised others haven't chipped in on this thread as I'm sure there are a lot of these units out there. Maybe not in the prosumer world (as I'm sure they cost a lot!) - but I imagine a lot of pros still have a SQN in their kit. If you picked up one for $800 and it sounds good, well, congratulations!
Chris Hocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2006, 08:50 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Chris. Getting some advice on this mixer has been like pulling teeth. I just got around to getting the proper cable for this mixer and my sound tech had some problems getting the levels right the only time I've gotten to use it on location. I worked with it afterwards at home and think that I've found the right settings for it. The sound does seem very well.
Jim Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2006, 03:09 PM   #4
New Boot

I have an SQN 4s field mixer and they are pretty much the standard here in the UK. They are really good and similar to yours mine is 20 years old but these mixers are built to last.
Just thought i would chip in and give my two cents.
Paul Spooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2007, 06:38 AM   #5
Major Player

I have a SQN 4s and its very solid and reliable, one of the best bits of kit I own, in fact. And the company that makes them is great, like an old school engineering company, when I phoned them up about something and quoted my SQN serial number, the man on the phone said "Oh, Bob built that one, I'll just go get him..." Try getting the person who built your Camcorder on the phone...
Paul Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2007, 09:00 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Yep, mine is twenty-five years old and still seems to be rock solid. I too had a very friendly and helpful conversation with an employee there that nearly blew me away in comparison to the quality of contact I usually have with business's these days. Thanks guys.
Jim Benton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio