DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   sennheiser ew 100? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/82874-sennheiser-ew-100-a.html)

George Vick January 1st, 2007 05:13 AM

sennheiser ew 100?

Can this receiver accept two inputs( lav and butt) simotaniously?

Steve House January 1st, 2007 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Vick
Can this receiver accept two inputs( lav and butt) simotaniously?

No. That receiver operates on only one channel at a time and multiple transmitters must each have their own separate channel assignment to avoid interference. There are not many dual-channel receivers on the market and the usual way to accomplish that kind of coverage is with multiple transmitter-receiver pairs feeding a mixer and/or multi-track recorder.

George Vick January 1st, 2007 03:34 PM

If that's the case then how would I go about doing field interviews with two microphones? What systems are capible of doing this?

Adrian Paul Spiteri January 2nd, 2007 07:31 AM

Does Sennheiser offer a system which can have 2 transmitters simultaneously?

Steve House January 2nd, 2007 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrian Paul Spiteri
Does Sennheiser offer a system which can have 2 transmitters simultaneously?

They do, in both the 3000 and 5000 series. But they're table top / rack mount units so they'd work on a sound cart but are not camera mountable. Audio Technica, Azden, and others also have dual-receiver models but that means you're looking at the neighborhood of at least around a kilobuck US to get your feet wet. The easiest and least expensive solution, if you have your heart set on wireless for both mics and you already have 2 Sennheiser transmitters, is to buy a second receiver and a dual-receiver mount for the camera. But remember the adage "Always use a cable whenever you are able." Wireless should be the arrangement of last resort where you simply can't have the camera tied to the mic or talent. Or use a combination - put the wireless lav on the interviewer and give him a hand-held conventional cabled mic to pick up the interviewee.

Adrian Paul Spiteri January 2nd, 2007 10:31 AM

The "limitation" of 1 receiver = 1 transmitter also applies to the sony (Sony UWP-C2) ?

"Simultaneous Multi-Channel
Operation
The UWP Series allows simultaneous
operation of up to 16 wireless
microphones. Optimum combinations of
practically tested, intermodulation-free
frequencies are stored in the UWP tuners.
By using the pre-programmed frequency
groups, users can easily choose
intermodulation-free frequencies for the
transmitters and tuners, simplifying the
task of system setup."

Steve House January 2nd, 2007 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrian Paul Spiteri
The "limitation" of 1 receiver = 1 transmitter also applies to the sony (Sony UWP-C2) ?

"Simultaneous Multi-Channel
Operation
The UWP Series allows simultaneous
operation of up to 16 wireless
microphones. Optimum combinations of
practically tested, intermodulation-free
frequencies are stored in the UWP tuners.
By using the pre-programmed frequency
groups, users can easily choose
intermodulation-free frequencies for the
transmitters and tuners, simplifying the
task of system setup."

That 'blurb' means that the available channels are set up with enough guard space in between them that you can operate up to 16 different transmitter/receiver pairs in the same location without too much trouble with them interfering with one another. But you still need each microphone transmitter to be on its own individual frequency and a separate receiver mated to each transmitter also tuned to that frequency. True multi-channel setups consist of two or more separate receivers in the same box sharing a common power supply. If you try to send two transmitters on the same frequency to one receiver, depending on the circuit details you'll either only hear one mic at a time (but WHICH mic will change at random from moment to moment depending on which signal is marginally stronger) or you'll get squeals and squawls resembling a cat fight in a pig pen as the transmitter signals beat (heterodyne) against each other.

George Vick January 2nd, 2007 07:04 PM

Well I ordered the Senny ew100 kit with 1 lav and 1 plug. I also picked up an md46 mic. I figure that when I do find the need for the 2nd mic I can just add a receiver and be ok.

Steve,
I would go wired but with the types of events I do would it just wouldn't be practical.