Is wireless on-camera MIC set a safe bet (Senn. G2 100 series) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 5th, 2007, 12:13 PM   #1
Major Player

Is wireless on-camera MIC set a safe bet (Senn. G2 100 series)

Is this a safe bet to get this Sennheiser G2 100 series package for one-camera documentaries, corporate and event videography?
Along with Rode NTG1 occasionally ported to wireless via 1 SKP 100 G2 plug-on transmitter included in that G2 100 series Sennheiser package?

Or should I just get field recorder with phantom power (such as Zoom H4) to get multi-angle run and gun one-camera shots with continious sound that`s just dubbed in post?

I`ve never trusted non-pahantom powered cables on mics so forgive me my ignorance on that (specially on wireless G2).

Oh, and my requirements are associated with battery and tape savings at remote locations.

Thanks in advance,
T
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 12:27 PM   #2
DVCreators.Net

The Sennheiser Evolution G2 wireless camera set is one of, if not the most popular wireless set under $1K. We've sold hundreds without a single complaint.

The RODE NTG-1 shotgun mic requires phantom power, while the NTG-2 does not. http://dvcreators.net/rode-microphones The NTG-2 is a bit longer.

I would get one of the new BeachTek MVU-1 portable headphone monitor units with phantom power and feed a cable off the shotgun to the MVU-1 clipped on my belt. It was designed exactly for this purpose. The SKP 100 plugs nicely into the XLR output of the MVU-1. Now your boom op can have headphones + VU meters and wirelessly transmit the signal to the camera receiver.

Works beautifully.
Old January 5th, 2007, 05:08 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Guy,

You`ve got pretty good sustainable marketing going on @ dvcreators.net (actually the best I´ve come along on the subject)
I`ll go with the Sennheiser G2 ENG package plus Zoom H4 for our location sound as we have the NTG-1 and NT-3 already.
Sadly I haven`t visited (or watched) the dvcreators.net site before today as we are located in Europe but it`s nice to know we`re heading in right direction.

Thanks,
T
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio