DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Cheap wind furry sock - Target (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/83299-cheap-wind-furry-sock-target.html)

Bob Howard January 6th, 2007 05:18 PM

Cheap wind furry sock - Target

In the camera department of my local Target store I found (for $13) a micro phone wind sock. It's actually designed to carry an IPod and probably aimed at young girls. In my case it fits over a Videomic perfectly - leaving the supplied foam on. It has a smooth light weight lining and elastic around the open end so it will stay in place.

It also has a chain attached (to attached it to a purse or some other 'girlie' thing) which needs to be removed. With a bit of modification it can be used by many other mikes as well. Worth a look if you're in a Target (or maybe somewhere else?)

Meryem Ersoz January 7th, 2007 10:43 AM

does it come in pink?

Greg Boston January 7th, 2007 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz
does it come in pink?

Dang, Meryem, you beat me to it. That was gonna be my first question.

If it comes in bright red, you could have a match to your camkote cover.

-gb-

David Delaney January 8th, 2007 05:21 PM

Can you post a link to this item?

Tim OBrien January 9th, 2007 09:23 AM

I use a bit of $3 fake fur from Walmart' craft department.

The piece I found is black and was about a foot square with long "hair" and an open mesh underneath. I cut a piece of it off about 3inches square and rubber-banded it to the mic with a black Scrunci hair band from the drugstore.

Looks good and does the job for a lot less than the $75 "windsocks" at the pro store....

Steven Davis January 9th, 2007 09:27 AM

Made two

I am blessed to have a wife that can sew. So (pun intended) I have made two of these types of things using fur from a fabric store, or Wallyworld.

One I made just slides over my foam windscreen. The other is made of chicken wire, some foam donuts and fur.

I'll give the industry credit for many things, but taking a peice of fur, sewing a seam and selling it for 150.00 is rediculous.

I applaud you for your innovation.

Bob Howard January 9th, 2007 04:37 PM

Wind sock continued.....

Today, January 9, I found the 'Target Sock' discounted to $9.95. And in answer to an earlier query....yes, they had pink.

Considering the labor factor of doing your own - trip to a fabric store, cost of fake fur, cutting and sewing, elastic, lining, time to sew it up, etc. - a much better deal.

Bob Howard February 22nd, 2007 07:06 PM

Wind sock continued

Yesterday I discovered the above mentioned 'wind sock' at my local Target - on a discount display at $4.98. I bought mine too early. However, it works as well as those found at your professional camera stores - the ones that sell for $30 or more. But only in white or pink.

Les Wilson February 24th, 2007 12:03 PM

I've done the craft store fur thing as well as purchased the real thing from Lightwave and Rode. The fur is definately better on the real thing.

Have you done any A/B tests to see how it affects the audio with and without wind? Basically, two tests. One tests how well it cuts wind. The other how acoustically transparent it is.

Douglas Spotted Eagle February 24th, 2007 12:29 PM

If the craft store fur is selected well (with large weave vs small weave) the craft store fur works better both in terms of transparency and wind reduction.
When you get to the stage of needing a zepplin however, the craft fur doesn't cut it.
I've tested both extensively, even nearly arriving at the point of manufacturing fur windscreens, because the several that I've made are far, far superior to the screens that most of the suppliers offer in terms of intelligibility and reduction.
You can't just throw some cheap craft fur into a strip and call it good, it takes a bit of planning, experience, and good sewing skill, plus an air gap. I've often created the air gap using the original foam windscreen that came with the mic.

Greg Boston February 24th, 2007 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ernest House
One tests how well it cuts wind. The other how acoustically transparent it is.

Agreed. The reason for the price on professional wind socks is because they have been designed for maximum wind blockage with minimal coloration of the audio. I suspect the openings in the mesh, the density of the fur, and the stiffness of the fur have a lot to do with the efficiency.

But when you have budget restrictions, you do what you gotta do to get the job done.

Check this out for inexpensive ingenuity...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz:80/section...ectid=10425224

-gb-

Vence Vida February 25th, 2007 10:13 PM

Greg,

I'd really like to see what you've made, but the link doesn't seem to work.

-Vence