DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   On-camera travel mic for XHA1? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/83411-camera-travel-mic-xha1.html)

Toenis Liivamaegi January 8th, 2007 10:41 AM

On-camera travel mic for XHA1?

I need the most compact and universal microphone to be used on multi-day carry-your-own-equipment expeditions to remote Greek islands. For interview-monologue type of recording along with occasional street musicans etc.
So far I´m leaning towards Oktava MK012 (with hyper capsule) as it is quite small, versatile and does not sound bad outdoors when properly wind-protected.
Are there any disadvantages using this mic on XHA1 without shock mount given that it`s holder reduces some handling noises?

Any other sub $300 mic to bring along in such a situation?

Thanks in advance,
T

Harm Millaard January 8th, 2007 11:22 AM

Look here: http://www.ambientaudio.com/products/tiny.html

Ty Ford January 8th, 2007 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toenis Liivamaegi
I need the most compact and universal microphone to be used on multi-day carry-your-own-equipment expeditions to remote Greek islands. For interview-monologue type of recording along with occasional street musicans etc.
So far I´m leaning towards Oktava MK012 (with hyper capsule) as it is quite small, versatile and does not sound bad outdoors when properly wind-protected.
Are there any disadvantages using this mic on XHA1 without shock mount given that it`s holder reduces some handling noises?

Any other sub $300 mic to bring along in such a situation?

Thanks in advance,
T

Sounds like a problem to me. Handling noise for one. Do you expect to boom this mic or mount it on the camera?

Ty Ford

Toenis Liivamaegi January 10th, 2007 10:00 AM

My essential hopes were that I could use the Oktava on camera standard O-mount without additional shock mount when camcorder is on a tripod indoors.
And on stand with wind protection outdoors.

I quess I`ll just have to bring a shock mount along.

Would that Oktava MK012 (with hyper capsule) be as versatile as the basic VideoMic?

We have NTG1 and NT3 too but those are not suited for extreme weight saving we try to achieve.

T

Ty Ford January 10th, 2007 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toenis Liivamaegi
My essential hopes were that I could use the Oktava on camera standard O-mount without additional shock mount when camcorder is on a tripod indoors.
And on stand with wind protection outdoors.

I quess I`ll just have to bring a shock mount along.

Would that Oktava MK012 (with hyper capsule) be as versatile as the basic VideoMic?

>>>>Marginally...maybe

We have NTG1 and NT3 too but those are not suited for extreme weight saving we try to achieve.

T

marginally, maybe

Ty Ford

Steve House January 10th, 2007 11:16 AM

Adding a bit to Ty's response, different mics are more or less sensitive to handling noise depending on the design of the internal structures. Unfortunately the Oktava is reputed to be one of those mics with a greater than average susceptibility to handling noise so mounting direct on the camera or a boom without a shockmount isn't likely to work out very well. Of course YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary).

Steve House January 10th, 2007 11:17 AM

Deleted - double posted

Kyle Prohaska January 10th, 2007 12:44 PM

Have you looked at the new Rode Stereo Video Mic?

- Kyle

Toenis Liivamaegi January 10th, 2007 02:12 PM

Kyle, actually I can`t use RODE rubber bands based products anymore because of zero European customer support. I had to literally throw away my VideoMic after only four months of usage because the failure of rubber bands in the schock mount. Now when the new batch of silicone bands are out it is still wiser to order complete new schock mounts for standard mics because those silicone bands are just not available in EU might those cost only $6 but import and shipping fees are about 10x of that.

Cheers,
T

Peter Rhalter January 10th, 2007 04:21 PM

On-camera travel mic for XHA1?

Have you looked at the AKG Blue Line mics? They are small, light, and have interchangeable capsules. For the price range, I think it sounds very natural and it has worked quite well as an on-camera mic.

Best,
Peter

Toenis Liivamaegi January 11th, 2007 08:18 AM

Thanks Peter,

Do you mean AKG SE300B with CK93 capsule? And maybe should we get a CK98 too for longer reach outside... Unfortunately I have no chance to compare the AKG Blueline to NTG1 or NT3 so I really don`t know if it would make a difference in sound quality.

Any comments?
T

Jarrod Whaley January 11th, 2007 02:09 PM

Are you sure the NTG-1 is too heavy for your purposes? I can't imagine any mic being much more lightweight than that one.

Bruce S. Yarock January 11th, 2007 04:57 PM

Forget the Oktava for on camera...too much handling noise. I've been using an Audio technika 897 for most everything. In retrospect, I wish I had looked into the AKG blue line series because of its' changeable capsules. Sometimes I'd rather have a cardiod capsule for my on cam mic.
Bruce S. yarock
www.yarock.com

Peter Rhalter January 11th, 2007 09:57 PM

<Toenis Liivamaegi asked: Do you mean AKG SE300B with CK93 capsule?>

Yes, that's the one I am using.

Best wishes,
Peter

Bruce S. Yarock January 11th, 2007 11:13 PM

Peter,
Which capsule is that? I thought that the ck91 was the cardioid.
Bruce S. yarock