I've got two Schoeps CMC6 microphones. How would you boom them? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 28th, 2007, 10:16 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Pruitt
That's not quite what I was asking, Cole. . .

Let's say you are doing a scene at a dinner party or at a restaurant. How on earth could you ever hope to capture that without getting the ambient sounds AND the dialog at the same time? And, even if you COULD get just the voices, how on earth would you ever be able to synch in sound effects for all of the clinks, chomps, etc., from the dishes and glasses and silverware???
In film shooting, much if not all of teh background sound is recreated in post (as has been said here.) Those sounds are added by a Foley artist. It's a very cool craft.

Quote:
If it was me doing a dinner party scene without any expertise at all (my current state of affairs), I'd fly about four or five microphones over the table and then run them all into a mixer and record all four or five tracks on a hard-drive (one track per microphone). Then, using your clapboard technique, I could synch all the sounds and build the sound file up in post using those four or five tracks, varying the levels as need be. But at least they would be the exact same sounds that corresponded to my video at the dinner party. Since I have the microphones and sound recording gear already, the added expense is quite low (a few new booms).
Wouldn't work you couldn't hope to isolate the sounds you wanted into each mic.

Quote:
Obviously, I can't wait to read those books! I ordered four of 'em and they are already on their way!

Thanks again.

Stephen
Mine might be useful as well.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2007, 10:32 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
That's not quite what I was asking, Cole. . .

Let's say you are doing a scene at a dinner party or at a restaurant. How on earth could you ever hope to capture that without getting the ambient sounds AND the dialog at the same time? And, even if you COULD get just the voices, how on earth would you ever be able to synch in sound effects for all of the clinks, chomps, etc., from the dishes and glasses and silverware???

You have the people in the background silently mime conversation rather than speaking normally and you use directional mics that are boomed as close as possible to the talent without intruding into the frame or perhaps concealed lav mics in their costume, during the shot nobody moves except the characters in frame and those members of the crew who have to move to follow action. In your restaurant or dinner party example, any of the background people who aren't actually in frame at some point in the shot are either motionless and silent or more likely they clear the set entirely. On a professional set nothing is left to chance. When you watch 'CSI,' for example, remind yourself that every single recognizable person you see in the scene, foreground or background, be it one of the principle characters or the kid riding his bike down the street in the background as the Hummer squeals around the corner, is an actor specifically placed in the scene.
Old January 28th, 2007, 11:11 PM   #18
Major Player

Oh, man. This is obviously VERY bad news for me. . . I had utterly no idea.

Frankly, there is absolutely no way I'll be able to shoot my feature like that. . . I've only got 30 days to shoot. . . a very small crew. . . and limited time at each public location.

I'll just have to use hyper overkill on the flying or lav microphones and record 8 audio tracks at once on the mixer/recorder and then attempt to put something useable that way in post.

Too bad my budget is only going to be $50,000. . . and $10,000 of that is for equipment.

:-(

Stephen
Stephen Pruitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2007, 11:26 PM   #19
Major Player

Well, Ty. . . perhaps your book, which I just ordered. . . will help me find a reasonable way out of this box.

I don't when I've been so bummed since starting this crazy venture.

:-(

Stephen
Stephen Pruitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 07:00 AM   #20
Trustee

We'll go back to my budget on my feature, $200...just tape stock. College acting students are good sources of actors who will act for experience/screen credits. Local community theater groups as well, many of them want the experience of acting for camera to get that experience as opposed to the linear quality of stage. Pizza and soda can be traded for screen credit from local restaurants (mom and pop shops are easier to approach as they generally have less to spend on advertising). Food keeps your actors happy. Free food keeps your budget happy. You're thinking like a hollywood studio filmmaker (on offense, I'd love that job)...think more indie! Most of what you need, you can get for free/screen credit with a nice smile, some sweet talking and a handshake. Stop thinking about spending money and start thinking about spending time up front to save money. Time = Money, spend the time not the money. The more work you do before shoot day 1, the less money you'll have to spend to get the piece made. With $50,000, I could've landed actors on the moon (you know...the soundstage in nevada where they faked the landings ;) ).
Old January 29th, 2007, 07:02 AM   #21
Inner Circle

You may be able to get more than you you think. First, you can get the Mk 41 capsules (you have the 4, right?)

As you shoot, make sure you wear headphones so you hear EXACTLY what you get. If it doesn't sound right. You need to shoot again.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 08:32 AM   #22
Major Player

Well, I'm definitely going to give it the old college try. . . since I'm coming at this game straight out of the audio recording business (my first CD is coming out soon), I MAY be able to do this better than someone without such experience.

Cole:

Sadly, my $50,000 feature budget only includes $7,000 for actor payments. $10,000 is for equipment (above and beyond the $30,000 I've already spent). $5000 is for unknown emergency items. $5000 is allocated to buy consulting talent to help us set things up as well as possible in the early days of the shoot. A big chunk of the of rest is being eaten up by the purchase of things seen onscreen (like payments to use specific locations, a car to drive and wreck, insurance, etc.). It goes really quickly. I just hope I don't find too many other nasty surprises or there goes the budget.

But I'm a pretty driven guy. . . Lord willing, I'll get this done.

Stephen
Stephen Pruitt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio