DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Radio Mics Abroad (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/85006-radio-mics-abroad.html)

Neil Corbett January 28th, 2007 01:57 PM

Radio Mics Abroad

I have a sennheiser radio mic kit and was thinking of taking it to America from the UK for some filming later in the year.

Is there any tips I should know? I know nothing about the the frequencies of such devices - I presume I'm going to have to adjust it on arrival?

Also, is there any security problems with such a device going through airports?

Neil

Oleg Kaizerman January 28th, 2007 03:01 PM

you can find the channel chart on lectrosonics and sennheiser sited regarding the citys you are going to shoot , but remeber it change all the time , so better find local shops or renting which can help you if yours is not working

Neil Corbett November 30th, 2008 04:51 AM

Its been a long time since I posted the original question and still havn't used the radio mics abroad. I've used non-radio clip mics instead, but those recently broke. I've been offered a job at short notice in Poland but now only have my radio mic available. It sounds from the previous post that I can retune the radio mics on arrival in the country but there's a chance they may not work. But I was recently told flat out NOT to use radio mics when filming abroad. Perhaps someone could give me a definitive answer?

Thanks

Colin McDonald November 30th, 2008 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil Corbett (Post 970605)
Its been a long time since I posted the original question and still havn't used the radio mics abroad. I've used non-radio clip mics instead, but those recently broke. I've been offered a job at short notice in Poland but now only have my radio mic available. It sounds from the previous post that I can retune the radio mics on arrival in the country but there's a chance they may not work. But I was recently told flat out NOT to use radio mics when filming abroad. Perhaps someone could give me a definitive answer?

Thanks

The situation will vary from country to country. I asked a question about France recently:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/all-thing...ee-france.html
so I know a bit about that. About Poland however, I know nothing.

Don't know whether that helps at all.

John Willett November 30th, 2008 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil Corbett (Post 614542)
I have a sennheiser radio mic kit and was thinking of taking it to America from the UK for some filming later in the year.

NO!

Don't do it - UK radiomics are not usable in the USA and vice versa.

The UK uses Sennheiser version E and the USA uses versions A and B.

Your solution is either to buy a new set or to hire in the USA.

Do NOT, under any circumstances, take your UK set to the USA (you mey get it impounded and lose it, it's not worth the risk).

John Willett November 30th, 2008 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil Corbett (Post 970605)

If you are using the standard UK licence-free frequencies (G2 systems, memory bank 8) between 863 and 865 MHz - these are licence free all over Europe in all ETSI signatory countries. I am pretty sure this includes Poland.

If you want the definitive answer, send an e-mail to the Sennheiser Agent for Poland (yes, they do speak English) - their contact details are HERE.

If you don't have a licence and are not using these frequencies in the UK you should immediately change over now.