Radio Mics Abroad at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 28th, 2007, 01:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Radio Mics Abroad

I have a sennheiser radio mic kit and was thinking of taking it to America from the UK for some filming later in the year.

Is there any tips I should know? I know nothing about the the frequencies of such devices - I presume I'm going to have to adjust it on arrival?

Also, is there any security problems with such a device going through airports?

Neil
Neil Corbett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2007, 03:01 PM   #2
Major Player

you can find the channel chart on lectrosonics and sennheiser sited regarding the citys you are going to shoot , but remeber it change all the time , so better find local shops or renting which can help you if yours is not working
Oleg Kaizerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 04:51 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Its been a long time since I posted the original question and still havn't used the radio mics abroad. I've used non-radio clip mics instead, but those recently broke. I've been offered a job at short notice in Poland but now only have my radio mic available. It sounds from the previous post that I can retune the radio mics on arrival in the country but there's a chance they may not work. But I was recently told flat out NOT to use radio mics when filming abroad. Perhaps someone could give me a definitive answer?

Thanks
Neil Corbett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 08:13 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Corbett View Post
Its been a long time since I posted the original question and still havn't used the radio mics abroad. I've used non-radio clip mics instead, but those recently broke. I've been offered a job at short notice in Poland but now only have my radio mic available. It sounds from the previous post that I can retune the radio mics on arrival in the country but there's a chance they may not work. But I was recently told flat out NOT to use radio mics when filming abroad. Perhaps someone could give me a definitive answer?

Thanks
The situation will vary from country to country. I asked a question about France recently:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/all-thing...ee-france.html
so I know a bit about that. About Poland however, I know nothing.

Don't know whether that helps at all.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 04:26 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
I have a sennheiser radio mic kit and was thinking of taking it to America from the UK for some filming later in the year.
NO!

Don't do it - UK radiomics are not usable in the USA and vice versa.

The UK uses Sennheiser version E and the USA uses versions A and B.

Your solution is either to buy a new set or to hire in the USA.

Do NOT, under any circumstances, take your UK set to the USA (you mey get it impounded and lose it, it's not worth the risk).
Old November 30th, 2008, 04:34 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
If you are using the standard UK licence-free frequencies (G2 systems, memory bank 8) between 863 and 865 MHz - these are licence free all over Europe in all ETSI signatory countries. I am pretty sure this includes Poland.

If you want the definitive answer, send an e-mail to the Sennheiser Agent for Poland (yes, they do speak English) - their contact details are HERE.

If you don't have a licence and are not using these frequencies in the UK you should immediately change over now.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio