Wireless Lav Microphone? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 9th, 2003, 11:52 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Wireless Lav Microphone?

Is there a consensus among people at this board as to what a good quality, reasonably priced wireless lavalier microphone would be?

I hear a lot of names thrown out, like Sony, Audio Technica and Sennheiser, and some prices as well, but never the specific model number. I found a Samson UM-1 transmitter and receiver that I can get for dirt cheap, but it has no capsule. Could I add a good quality capsule and get good quality sound from the Samson?

I will order my new DVX-100 tomorrow and I am budgeting for accessories and I would like to include a wireless lav.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Greg Matty
Greg Matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2003, 12:19 PM   #2
Major Player

I'm using the UM-1 with a Sony ECM44 and getting great resuts. ECM44's are very popular with the ENG crowd both for quality and durability
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2003, 12:44 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I'm using the Azden 500U setup with Sony ECM44 mics. Been using it about 8 months I guess and no problems so far.
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2003, 04:41 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Connecting the lav to the camera

Please excuse my ignorance, but how do you connect a wireless lav to the GL2? Does a transmittor plug into one of the XLR inputs of the MA-300 or something? Would love to learn how it's done, in case the need arrises for me...

Thanks.
Noka Aldoroty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2003, 04:59 PM   #5
Major Player

Lav plugs into the the wireless transmitter (usually worn on subjects belt). Depending on your wireless receiver, you use a short 1/8" Male to 1/8" male cable and plug directly into the mic in on the GL2 OR if your receiver is XLR, it plugs into an XLR adapter box (various makers) which then plugs into the GL2 mic in.
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio