Want to record Stereo - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 3rd, 2007, 02:16 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House
Don't you have to drop down to 12-bit audio to record 4 tracks on the tape? For dialog it's not such a big deal but for music doesn't this seriously compromise the quality?
Yes, the recording has to be made in 12-bit 32KHz mode, in order to record all 4 tracks separately on the tape. My use of the Senn is to record mainly speech, but I have recorded the odd disco set at 12bit, and to be honest the quality is fine for Wedding DVD production. I guess you would want to record 16bit if the production was a music promotion demo or something similar. ( CD Quality ).

I guess you have to work within the constraints of the equipt you have and the final use of the material. If you wanted to record 16bit via the Senn, still have 16bit ambient from the on board mic, then you would require a separate tape deck and mix this in post. The original poster didnt have this setup, and I guess the application didnt call for purchase of additional equipt. It's all about 'compromise', as you say.

Could a user record part of the day at 12bit when the Senn's are required, and then switch to 16bit for any music parts, eg disco? The proj would have to be 16bit, but would have 12 bit audio inside. Would this render ok? I think the 'popping' occurs when you import 16 bit audio into a 12 bit project??

There was a recent post on these forums ( think it was these ones.... but I could be wrong, as I read several ), discussing 12bit vs 16bit, which is worth the read.
Old February 3rd, 2007, 07:10 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Here is a cheap solution:

1 minidisc recorder and 1/8" stereo miniplug to stereo rca, plus what ever adapters you may need.

You used to be able to get a minidisc recorder at wal mart or similar location for like $130. Add another $15 for adapters and your all set.

Grab the feed from the board to the recorder and a feed to your camera, like you were doing and match wave forms in post.

Also, if you don't like the minidisc workflow, there are a number of flash media recorders at various price points that will do the same thing. I wouldn't record four channel audio if you are worried about sound quality though.

Regards,

Greg
Greg Hartzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2007, 07:50 AM   #18
Regular Crew

It would definately not be practical for me to obtain all of the original CDs for each cheer routine, so I am biting the bullet and buying Tascam HD-P2

Now, here's question. Is there any reason I couldn't tap the left line-out of the audio board to one of my Senns, and tap the right line-out of the audio board to my second Senn, and send each Senn output to each channel of my video camera? This should give me true stereo, but the downside is that I get no ambient for mixing (that I usually get using my on-camera shotgun). Thanks.
Ken McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2007, 08:39 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken McGrath
It would definately not be practical for me to obtain all of the original CDs for each cheer routine, so I am biting the bullet and buying Tascam HD-P2

Now, here's question. Is there any reason I couldn't tap the left line-out of the audio board to one of my Senns, and tap the right line-out of the audio board to my second Senn, and send each Senn output to each channel of my video camera? This should give me true stereo, but the downside is that I get no ambient for mixing (that I usually get using my on-camera shotgun). Thanks.
That would work ... maybe. I say that because it depends on where you can get the output from the house board. If you tap off of the main outputs your levels going to the wireless transmitters and thus to the camera will go up and down as the board op rides gain, not conducive to good audio recording. If the board can be set up so you're using outputs from an auxilliary mix bus or has pre-fader inserts in the main bus that you can use as direct outs then you'll be okay.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio