DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Basic Setup (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/86342-basic-setup.html)

Lisa Bennett February 12th, 2007 08:01 PM

Basic Setup

Hi,

Where can I find (or can someone provide) information on a basic setup using HD100U, mixer and 1 wireless mic? I want to make sure I do it properly and not blow any circuits, etc. My other projects have required the on-camera mic that came with the HD100U. But for this upcoming shoot I need 1 wireless mic and I have a small portable mixer available for the shoot.

Thanks in advance,
Lisa

Steve House February 13th, 2007 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa Bennett
Hi,

Where can I find (or can someone provide) information on a basic setup using HD100U, mixer and 1 wireless mic? I want to make sure I do it properly and not blow any circuits, etc. My other projects have required the on-camera mic that came with the HD100U. But for this upcoming shoot I need 1 wireless mic and I have a small portable mixer available for the shoot.

Thanks in advance,
Lisa

Assuming your mixer has pro features such as calibrated meters and alignment tone, the basic process is this.

Connect mixer to camera inputs, camera to manual gain control
Set the mixer output fader to unity gain (probably a detent notch at about 2pm on the dial, input faders all the way down.
Engage alignment tone
Use the camera recording level controls to set camera's audio meters to -20dBFS.
Tone off
Bring up mixer inputs until meters hover around 0vu on dialog. Ride gain druing the shot with the mixer's input faders.

If the mixer doesn't have toine you can get a tone generator that plugs into a mic input for not too much money.

Lisa Bennett February 13th, 2007 08:21 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I've never hooked up a mixer to the HD100U and was worried that I might cause a circuitry problem or something. I've been using the on-camera mic (+48v).

I'm wondering this, should I leave the on-camera mic hooked in and leave it recording so I can have this audio in case something goes wrong with my sound from the mixer?

Is it safe to leave the on-camera mic (+48) plugged into input 1 and add a mixer to input 2? Right now the +48v is of course set on the audio input and the ch2 input is set to input 1. (Not sure if it is ok to leave a +48 mic input 1 hooked up and hook up a mixer to input 2 in case the phantom power on-camera mic causes a problem.)

If the on-camera mic can stay on like it is hooked in now, do I then hook-up the xlr from the mixer to input 2 on the camera and set it to "line"? what other settings need to be made if any?

What about the ch-2 input switch that is right above the audio input switch? Right now it is set on input 1 with only the on-camera mic hooked in. Should it be changed to "input 2" after mixer is hooked in?

Are there any menu settings I have to make changes too?

On the inside of the lcd screen, there is a switch for ch1 and ch2 manual/auto. I guess these should be set to manual so the left and right can be adjusted once the mixer is hooked up or is it better to leave these set at auto?

Thank you
Lisa