DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Holy Smoke! AT 1800 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/86355-holy-smoke-1800-a.html)

Douglas Spotted Eagle February 13th, 2007 12:00 AM

Holy Smoke! AT 1800

Just got my Audio Technica 1800 series today after waiting for a few months...Dang, but this system is da bomb!

2 channel, dual UHF diversity receiver, so I can have a butt plug on one channel and body mike on the other. Hirose connectors on the body pack, which some hate but I like.

The hot thing though, amongst other great things, is it has a build in "mixer."
If you've got a cam that has only 2 channels of input and you need more than two mics, use the wireless system as a 2 channel mixer, as it allows for as much blend as you'd like. Very impressed in the first 2 hours of playing with it, I hope to have a full review done by the weekend.
I wish they had an easy way to mount it on my Z1/V1 setups.

Ty Ford February 13th, 2007 04:31 AM

Beat me to it. Mine came friday and it's still on the dining room table. I'm jammed with work. Maybe the end of the week.

Regards,

Ty

Jeff Mack February 13th, 2007 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
I wish they had an easy way to mount it on my Z1/V1 setups.

Douglas,

Nothing better then getting a new toy. My set up is a little different. When I want to capture more than two audio sources, I use a set up that I bought intended for use with studio in ear monitors for bands not able to use floor wedges due to recording restrictions. I use the Shure personal monitor mixer. It allows for 4 line in inputs to the transmitter. It also allows the 4 channels to be mixed as well. I can daisy chain them if I need more. I use a mini to XLR on the bodypack receiver. Id clip it to my strap if I'm on the tripod or to my belt if I'm mobile. You have a more compact setup though needing only 1 mic transmitter for my two.

Jeff

Douglas Spotted Eagle February 13th, 2007 03:11 PM

yes, I too have a battery powered field mixer. The point of the 1800 is that I have two wireless sources that are independent, and can remain independent. Unless I need an additional channel on my camera, in which case I can sum the two sources into one channel, and use the other camera channel for whatever I need, perhaps a wired mic for a third channel, without having to drag out my mixer. The 1800 receiver mounts directly to the back of my camcorder. Nothing else needed.

Bill Davis February 13th, 2007 04:00 PM

Looks interesting, but I bet just like everyone else here, I want to know how it SOUNDS!

Clean and crisp but slightly sacrificing the bottom end like most typical high end analog body packs I've used? Is there any breathing or compander noise like the budget stuff? What about range and power consumption?

The web site says the retail price point is around $1800. That should put the street price comfortably under $1500 which looks pretty attractive for what is essentially a package of TWO wireless mic systems in a single unit.

Can't wait to read the full review(s).

Steve Leverich February 13th, 2007 04:39 PM

B&H has 'em for under $1300... Steve

Jaron Berman February 13th, 2007 05:05 PM

Very interested to know how these sound. My sales rep called me to let me know about the introduction of this setup and it looks pretty convenient. How big is the receiver pack? Comparable to 2 of the sennheiser G2's or closer to the Lectros? I'm working on a show now that's using the sennheisers, and they're dying fast! I like the sound of the Senn's, but they just aren't standing up in the field. The connectors on the cables and units are failing, so if this AT system has a similar form factor, I would certainly be up for trying it - seems to have a more robust connector setup. Any thoughts from you guys who have it would be most appreciated, thanks!

Marco Leavitt February 19th, 2007 02:05 PM

Are the included lavs useable?

Craig Irving February 19th, 2007 05:23 PM

It's a shame you can't buy the kits cheaper w/o lav mics included.

I just bought 2 Sony ECM77Bs and if I bought a wireless kit for each i'd have an extra two lavs that would do me no good whatsoever. I'd rather they remove it to drive the cost of the system down.

Craig Irving March 7th, 2007 10:30 AM

Any reviews on this yet? It seems like a great idea since mounting two wireless transmitters ontop of a camcorder is not too practical.

Dean Sensui March 7th, 2007 06:14 PM

I've been working with one for a little over a month now and it certainly cuts down on the clutter at the back of the camera. I made a receiver mount out of Plexiglass. It's bolted to the back of my CAVision shoulder mount where it's out of the way and sort of helps to counter-balance the HVX-200.

The LCD display is a LOT easier to read than the LED's on the Audio Technica's ATW-101 system, particularly in daylight. This new receiver is the same size as the ATW-101 receiver but includes two independent diversity units in a single package.

Besides being a diversity receiver, the unit has the ability to auto-scan for clean channels. You can scan from the bottom upward for one channel, and from the top downward for the second. Makes finding usable channels quick and easy. Especially if you're working in conditions where wireless video taps and other wireless equipment are cluttering up the airwaves.

Antennas have standard BNC connectors to them which means you have the option of setting up seperate, higher-performance dipole antennas if you're operating from a fixed position.

There's an option to run just one channel of the receiver to save on batteries. And everything runs on AA's, not 9v batteries.

The transmitters now have ability to operate at 10mw or 30mw. The ATW-101 transmitter only operated at 10mw and sometimes had trouble punching through heavy clothing. Useful if you're covering dogsledding in Alaska.

Mics have 4-pin locking HRS connectors. If you do get this unit, I'd recommend getting the AT 899CW mics. They sound fuller than the stock mics which sound a little on the tinny side to me. Also, the mic clips aren't exactly low-profile. The ones I use are made by Shure and aren't too expensive.

Overall, the sound is about as good as the ATW-101, which was as good as the Lectrosonic 185.

I wanted to set up my Countryman B3's with these but no one has the wiring figured out for that yet. These units are too new. So I opted to get the AT 899CW mics. They're not quite as small as the B3's but the difference isn't THAT great, either in physical size or performance.

On a recent assignment in a 3-story house, I didn't start losing signal until I got down to the third floor. We were doing B-roll while the talent was conducting a seminar elsewhere in the house. And this was a very Big house!

Marco Leavitt March 8th, 2007 07:25 AM

Thanks Dean!

Nate Weaver March 8th, 2007 10:49 AM

Not being an audio guy, where would this system fall compared to my existing Sony UWP units?

I'd like something better than the plastic build of those, and mounting two of those receivers on the back of my 350 is gaff tape/battery sillyness. I lust after a Zaxcom 2-ch receiver, but...realistically, gear at that level is a better investment for a real soundman, not me.

I think I just need/want something better than my Sonys for those shoots that are still going to be just me doing my own sound.

Ty Ford March 8th, 2007 10:57 AM

Lectrosonics
Zaxcom
Audio Ltd.
Micron

Those are four of the top shelf companies for wireless.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Nate Weaver March 8th, 2007 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ty Ford (Post 638311)
Lectrosonics
Zaxcom
Audio Ltd.
Micron

Those are four of the top shelf companies for wireless.

Regards,

Ty Ford

I understand that. The sound guys I hire have thought me that much. But realistically, my sound kit shouldn't be on the same level as the guys I hire, it's not smart money.

I just want something a little better/more convenient than I already have, but not to Lectro pricing.