DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Audio in Hawaii (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/86553-audio-hawaii.html)

Jim Froom February 14th, 2007 11:13 PM

Audio in Hawaii

I'm heading to Hawaii and going to shoot with my new Canon XH-A1 some interviews on the beach. There is wind and surf this time of year.

I'm taking a 2-lav mics, Sen 416, and Rode NT3.

I just got the Sen 416 this week and have no experience with boom mics.

I'm going to try to shoot on the beach with the ocean and sky in the background and know the surf noise and maybe wind will be a problem.

I bought a Rycote 18cm Small Hole Softie for the mic.

Is it possible to use the Sen 416 and get acceptable sound in this situation?
I have been able to mount the 416 on the Camera without getting zoom motor noise. 1 problem resolved.

However, I guessing this isn't going to work shooting on the beach with the surf noise coming from behind the person being interviewed.

If I put the 416 over head and angle it down 45 degrees or so, will this work?
If so, I assume I'd angle away from ocean?

I can shoot at a 30 or 40 degree angle to the shoreline so I could get the 416 pointing away from ocean.

I'm hoping these questions aren't too dumb, but am new at this. I know the wind and surf are going to problematic. If it doesn't work, we will have to move away from the beach, but first choice is on the beach.

Any help is appreciated.

Steve House February 15th, 2007 05:33 AM

You might find you need more wind protection than the Softy provides. Any chance the full Rycote Zepplin Windjammer kit is in your budget?

Getting the mic as close as possible to the talent is an even more important principle here than usual. The mic should go on a boom and be positioned above and in front of the talent so it can be angled downward at about 45 degrees and aimed at their sternum area. That'll put the surf sounds off-mic in one of the nulls unless they're actually standing in the surf-line <g>. The boom operator really needs phones here so he can hear when he's got the best balance between voice and surf.

Jim Froom February 15th, 2007 08:03 AM

audio hawaii

"You might find you need more wind protection than the Softy provides. Any chance the full Rycote Zepplin Windjammer kit is in your budget?"

Budget is shot at this point and no time to get one as only 2 shopping days till we leave. Sort of new this might be a problem as this is the windy season out there.

Our plan is to try to shoot on some of the calmer days as there are some calm days and some places we can get out of the wind. The surf is a different story as it's always there with waves crashing on the beach.

Taking a boom stand for the mic as this is sit down talk.

We may have a 6'x6' scrim behind the person talking. I'm assuming we won't have any sound issue with this unless the sound comes from behind the camera.

"That'll put the surf sounds off-mic in one of the nulls

I assume I should point the null area of the mic at the surf line? Sorry to ask but the boom mic is new and I'm not somewhat inexperienced. I haven't even had time to try it out. Going to practice this weekend as temps outside are going to rise to about 15-20F.

Thanks again for the your help.