mixpre to sennheiser 100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 15th, 2007, 09:00 AM   #1
Regular Crew

mixpre to sennheiser 100

hi all,
i'm feeding a sony z1 with a mixpre through a senn 100.
when connected by wire i set the reference tone at -20 and everything is fine. levels on the mixer meter run high up to +8/+12 and the audio is always good.
when connecting a sennheiser transmitter to the mixer out (line only) i set its sensitivity to -30 (lowest possible in this model). result: the af peak led start flashing when the mixer meter shows +4+8.
which way would you go, connect the transmitter to the mixpre's headphone out (mini jack to minijack cable, umbalanced and a few db lower) or get a -10 db pad and keep on using the xlr out? how would you set the limiters?
i hope i explaind myself well enough, thank you for you help

pietro
Pietro Jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2007, 10:38 AM   #2
Regular Crew

sorry i wrote wrong, i'm talking about the tape output, not the headphone out.
i know that i could solve the problem by adjusting the camera input gain until the display shows -16 or -14 when sending the reference tone but i really feel unconfortable for having not so much headroom. besides, the display on the mixpre jumps from -15 to zero in one step, form there it is one more led only to get to +4db..
Old February 15th, 2007, 02:35 PM   #3
Trustee

First, confirm which version of the MixPre you have. The earliest version, which is recognized by the coaxial power connector, needs special attenuators on the XLR outputs. The newer version, with a small 4-pin power connector, can use standard attenuators. Investing in a pair of 10db attenuators would be a good idea, especially if you ever need to feed other sensitive line-level inputs like a DVX-100 camera in addition to your transmitter input. AT makes a -10,20,30db switchable model and Shure makes a -15,20,25db switchable model.
The wiring of your transmitter input cable will make a difference too since I think the Sennheiser uses different contact points for unbalanced line and mic input levels.
In addition, if you use only pins 2 and 1 from the newer MixPre XLR output, you get -6db attenuation immediately. If you have the older version of the MixPre, you don't get any attenuation by dropping the pin 3 connection. The earlier model uses an impedence balanced circuit, but the entire signal is carried on pin 2 rather than being split into positive and negative halves on pins 2 and 3 like a normal balanced XLR. So it's actually easier to build an unbalanced attenuator with the earlier circuit, you just have to recognize that it's not a standard output.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 02:42 AM   #4
Regular Crew

thanks jay
the mixpre is brand new.
-6 db might be not enough, so i guess i'll go with the attenuator. i'm in sudan at the moment and i prefer not to mess with cutting/welding wires. i'll have the pad sent from home.
Old February 17th, 2007, 02:34 PM   #5
Major Player

Hi Pietro,

I have the same gear as you (Z1, SD Premix and Sennheier wirelsess units) and am not quite sure of your problem... I have no problem hard wired either...but tend to set tone to -12db or -18db on camera, with no problem..

With the Sennie wireless... I leave the sensitivity at -10db.. but set the AF out to 0db.... The manual states that the mic AF out mic setting is -30 to -6db (I set at -12db) and the line setting 0db to +12db...With the Premix I set at 0db.

I've found a 0db setting lets me set a tone of -12 on camera... Not had a problem yet... It does mean that I have to reset my transmitters depending on the usage...

Is this your usage of the system?

Cheers
Gareth
Gareth Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2007, 11:25 PM   #6
Regular Crew

i'm not sure you are using the sennheiser for the same purpose i'm using it. i use it to send the signal from them mixer to the camera, not from a person to thee mixer.. my camera operator wants to move freely without wires.
given that the mixpre is line only it seems impossible to me thhat your transmitter could accept its signal when set to -10, mine shows overloading/clipping/saturation even at -30 when i reach +4db on the mixpre.
i like to set the reference tone at -20 or -18 because i like to have more headroom and run the average dialogue levels at about +8 +12.
i'm now using the tape output on the left side of the mixpre, waiting for a pad to be sent from home.
let me know what's the use you do of your transmitter and thanks

pietro
Old February 19th, 2007, 01:50 PM   #7
Major Player

use the mix pre unbalance out to feed the the transmitter ( ring and ground)
, set the
calibrate the input so you have about -14 on the tx as you sending o dbu
calibrate the limiters around +12
work normally so the pics would fly +6 -10 , the mix pre limiter would work before the tx will limiting by it self
is better work this way and sacrifice abit of the headroom and get better sn to noise in the transmitter
establish your tone when you sending the signal to -16 dbs on the camera

i think with that setup you will be fine
Oleg Kaizerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 10:59 PM   #8
Regular Crew

thanks oleg

tx means transmitter i guess?
what if i go the pad way? would i need about 40db attenuation?

pietro
Old February 20th, 2007, 12:52 PM   #9
Major Player

15db go consumer line level -ring on the tx
40 db to mic level -tip on the tx input
best

Last edited by Oleg Kaizerman; February 21st, 2007 at 02:40 AM.
Oleg Kaizerman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio