General on-camera mic advice? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 16th, 2007, 10:07 AM   #1
Regular Crew

General on-camera mic advice?

Just wondering if someone can point me in the right direction. I recently purchased a Canon Optura 50 and I'm looking for a general-purpose camera mount mic to use with it. The main purpose is for family-type filming, both indoors and outdoors. One of my biggest complaints with my previous camera was the transport noise ending up on film (my other camera is a JVC GR-D33, which has no external mic input).

I have no clue what exactly I'm looking for (shotgun, condenser?). The 2 I've found by searching here so far have been the ATR-55 and the Rode VideoMic... the VideoMic is maybe above my budget, but I might stretch if it's really worth it.

Is there anything else I should be considering?

Thanks!
Justin DeAre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 11:33 AM   #2
Inner Circle

If you're looking for something a little better than using a built in mic, on a real tight budget, you might consider an ATR-25. Amazon has them for about 35 bucks.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 12:10 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Robert! The ATR-25 looks like it might be a good starter mic, which is pretty much what I'm looking for. Nice and cheap too! :)
Justin DeAre is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio