DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Mic for Sony PD170 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/87204-mic-sony-pd170.html)

David Majer February 22nd, 2007 12:28 AM

Mic for Sony PD170

I am considering buying a sennheiser ME66 or an ME64, with the K6 or K6p (phantom only) power source to go with my Sony PD170.

Is there any reason why I would want one or the other?
I'm thinking the ME66 might be too large.

Are there any cheaper alternatives to these mics?

Any other advice would be appreciated as well, concerning accessories etc...
I am primarily a run and gun shooter, I do web based viral video, I shoot in a large variety of situations indoor, outdoor, and in places I cannot control the environment.

This is my first camera, and I dont want to make a mistake in buying the wrong mic. Thanks.
David Majer. Montreal, Canada.

Chris Barcellos February 22nd, 2007 12:46 AM

I use the ME66 with my VX2000. Bought it on recommendations of people on this board a few years back, and haven't regretted it...

David Majer February 22nd, 2007 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos
I use the ME66 with my VX2000. Bought it on recommendations of people on this board a few years back, and haven't regretted it...

Are you using the k6 or k6p power source?
Do you find that the ME66 sticks out too far in front of the lense?
Does it get caught when moving the camera around or bang into stuff? How are you attaching the mic to the camera?

Chris Barcellos February 22nd, 2007 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Majer
Are you using the k6 or k6p power source?
Do you find that the ME66 sticks out too far in front of the lense?
Does it get caught when moving the camera around or bang into stuff? How are you attaching the mic to the camera?

K6 with battery power. VX2000 has mini plup, so this runs through a Beachtech DXA-4.

I mount off the accessory shoe, using a simple shock mount adapter I got from B&H when I bought the mic. If I shoot on camera, it does not extend into the cameras field of view, even with a self made wind sock I have on it. Assuming I clamp everything down properly, it will not be a problem with handling or "banging into things.", or with rumble from movement. You do lose the handle when configured like that, unless you spin the mic out line to grab the handle. More often, since I ve used it primarily for interview stuff or making films, I will use off camera on a boom pole, or mic stand, with good effect for my purposes. I also use it with my FX1.

I am not a sound tech guy, and this is my first decent mic, so I really have nothing else to judge it on. I only respond to let you know that I have used it with my VX2000, and I am satisfied with it for my "non-professional" level use. Professional are using it too, and that is why I bought it..

Oleg Kaizerman February 22nd, 2007 02:16 AM

ntg-1 from rode - better mic cost less then half
very short and quit light .
aditional much better option is looking for AT -4073
The new cost the same as me 66 about 500us

Hubert Duijzer February 22nd, 2007 03:21 AM

I can recommend the Rode NTG-2 (the same mic as the NTG-1, but also able to work on an AA battery).

Bill Busby February 22nd, 2007 04:01 AM

Another decent option is the Sony ECM643. It's phantom only & roughly just a tad over 8" long.

Bill

Peter Rhalter February 22nd, 2007 10:51 AM

I prefer the sound of the AKG Blue Line mics (I have the cardioid and hypercardioid capsules) to the ME series.

Since you are looking for a single mic for all situations, you might consider a hypercardioid rather than a shotgun mic. It has a tight pickup pattern but will be also work well in those indoor situations where a shotgun would have issues with reflected sound.

Best wishes,
Peter