DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   The sounds of the South Pacific (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/87642-sounds-south-pacific.html)

Jonah Gouin February 26th, 2007 09:59 PM

The sounds of the South Pacific

Shortly, I departed for my first and hopefully not last documentary. Most all the video gear and accessories other than audio has been determined. Reading this forum a bit, I have realized the audio needs to be given plenty of attention.

This film project will be taking place in the South Pacific and is based on some rarely explored underwater sea mountains. Underwater thankfully, I do not have to worry about recording audio, just a nice soundtrack and narration. But back on the surface, footage would be between life on a small sailboat and life on some very remote atolls. I am estimating 95% of this footage would be outdoors, so as you can guess, wind may be one of the biggest issues to be addressed.

The equipment I was considering is the AT897 shotgun & Sennheiser Evolution G2 wireless lav.

As it will be mostly run & gun, I would like to try to avoid recruiting someone to hold a boom; however, can do if it will make a difference.

The camera I will be using is the Sony FX7. As it can only handle one audio input at a time via mini jack, I need to decide if I purchase a Beachtek or similar to use two mics simultaneously. Or just make due with using one mic or the other depending on the situation.

For the few interior shoots, they would be in small places such the tiny cabin of a sailboat or the small one room shacks on these tiny atolls. I am curious how well the AT897 would perform in a small interior environment such as these.

Another thought is how effective would it be to attached this shotgun to the wireless Sennheiser G2 to use in a situation of recording audio from a couple people.

As my questions may reflect, I definitely do not know much about audio. I have no hands on experience , but fortunately have the great resource of this forum. I actually find determining the audio equipment the hardest in the equipment decisions.

I thank you folks in advance of you contributing some of your great knowledge.

Bruce S. Yarock February 27th, 2007 04:37 AM

Jonah,
I'm in the Fort Lauderdale are. If you want to come over sometime. I can help you with your audio quetions. Your trip sounds like a lot of fun.
Bruce Yarock
email-yarock at aol dot com

Steve House February 27th, 2007 09:47 AM

As you research various mics, keep in mind that high humidity can affect performance of some condensor mics.

Jim Miller February 27th, 2007 10:36 AM

I find the sennheiser me66 with the sennheiser wireless evolution wireless module works very well to get good sound from several people.

Jonah Gouin February 28th, 2007 06:32 PM

Bruce – I appreciate the offer. I may try to come up to Ft Lauderdale for the Blues Festival this weekend. I will send you an email.

Steve – Yes, the South Pacific can prove to be more humid than average. Are there some mics know the fare better in high humidity?

Jim – I was considering the ME66 or the AT897.