Rode NT3's out of stock everywhere... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 27th, 2007, 12:08 PM   #1
New Boot

Rode NT3's out of stock everywhere...

My NT3 has been on backorder from Musicians Friend for a while now. I can't seem to find one anywhere and I've got some more shoots coming up in a room that has been causing my G2 lav to go crazy**.

Does anyone have any recommendations of anything similar for a good price?

** The lav issue is driving me mad. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with the wireless transmission, but rather something taking place between the mic and transmitor. I typically use this mic everywhere with -20 sensitivity on the body pack, but the second I enter this room, the levels go through the roof just off of room noise. If someone tries to speak, it will clip so hard that it puts the receiver on mute for a few seconds. I've done 2 shoots with the mic on -30, but the time I spend tweaking the audio in post just isn't worth it. (any advice on this one? I think it may have to do with faulty electrical wiring in the room?)
Derek Elkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 12:27 PM   #2
Major Player

RF interference would be my guess. The G2's I've worked with seem to be vulnerable to this, but I don't know if it's coming directly into the transmitter or via the mic to transmitter cable.

Things you might try:
Turning off any florescent fixtures in the immediate area.
Looking for obvious RF sources: radio antennas, high power lines, radars, etc.

Do you have the same problem with a wired lav in this room?
Ralph Keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 12:53 PM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Keyser
Do you have the same problem with a wired lav in this room?
I don't own any wired lavs, I've just sucked it up and shot at -30db then just processed the heck out of the signal.

I had borrowed large diaphram condensor from a friend, but that particular shoot had to be rescheduled. I was hoping to have the NT3 in before the next shoot, but I'm questionning if I'll ever see it...
Derek Elkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2007, 08:59 PM   #4
Major Player

try sweetwater for audio equipment.
http://www.sweetwater.com/
Kajito Nagib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 10:17 AM   #5
DVCreators.Net

We've got quite a few in stock and offer 5% off to DVinfo.net members using the coupon code "dvinfo" at checkout http://dvcreators.net/rode-microphones

Here's a sample of the sound quality too http://dvcreators.net/products/indoormic_movieframe.htm
Old May 3rd, 2007, 11:49 AM   #6
Regular Crew

thank you Guy for showing the demo of the nt-3, I would like to know what camera(onboard mic) was used for your demo.
Martin Labelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 05:48 PM   #7
Regular Crew

another question for Guy.

I have looked at your video on the hhb mic, could you tell us if theres a big sound difference comparing it to rode nt-3.Or even better put a video comparing the two.And should I consider to use the hhb as a on camera mic?
Martin Labelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2007, 02:22 AM   #8
DVCreators.Net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Labelle View Post
thank you Guy for showing the demo of the nt-3, I would like to know what camera(onboard mic) was used for your demo.

That was the Canon XL2's built-in mic (which is actually not terribly bad). It just goes to show that getting the mic closer to the subject is the #1 rule in achieving better recorded dialog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Labelle View Post
I have looked at your video on the hhb mic, could you tell us if theres a big sound difference comparing it to rode nt-3.Or even better put a video comparing the two.And should I consider to use the hhb as a on camera mic?
The HHB mic in the video was a Beta test model of the OMNI. They now have a cardioid which I believe would work better for most videographers. The NT3 is just a really warm mic compared to the HHB Omni - which sounds a bit thin - it does not seem to give you that thick, detailed -punchy midbass you get with a 3/4" capsule.

Listen to some more of the NT3 here http://www.rodemic.com/?pagename=Med...ct_name=Vocals

I wouldn't consider putting the HHB on camera - due to the timecode syncing nightmare you'd have in post.

I would - and have put an NT3 on-camera - it's heavy - but clean if your camera doen't have seriously noisy preamps.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio