DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Rode Videomic Experience (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/88863-rode-videomic-experience.html)

Ron Anderson March 13th, 2007 03:12 PM

Rode Videomic Experience

Are any of you using a Rode Videomic on a Sony VX-2100? I just bought one and have noticed that it runs extremely hot and picks up every little noise the camera makes to include motor noise to the slightest hand movement. I have to turn down the record input to around 5 to 10 db and that is just not enought to get good audio. I would like to hear any of your experiences with this mic. Thanks.

Ron

Steve House March 13th, 2007 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Anderson (Post 641145)
Are any of you using a Rode Videomic on a Sony VX-2100? I just bought one and have noticed that it runs extremely hot and picks up every little noise the camera makes to include motor noise to the slightest hand movement. I have to turn down the record input to around 5 to 10 db and that is just not enought to get good audio. I would like to hear any of your experiences with this mic. Thanks.

Ron

Just another example of why camera-mounted mics are a method of last resort. It's nothing to do with the Rode mic per se - it's a good mic for the money. ANY mic mounted on the camera will exhibit the same behaviour. The solution is to get the mic off the camera and up close to the sound source where it belongs. The position of the camera to produce the best pictures is almost never the position of the mic that will record the best sound.

Jay Massengill March 13th, 2007 03:50 PM

I agree with Steve's comment 100%. For those times when camera mounted is the only practical solution, you should probably engage the Mic ATT switch. This won't change the differential between handling noise and the subject you want to record, but it will put your controls into a better part of their range and keep the mic from being so sensitive with this camera's mic input. Test it out and decide which works best for your situation if you can't use a better mic placement.

Stu Holmes March 13th, 2007 05:28 PM

By the way Ron (and everyone) the latest Rode Videomics have an (undocumented...) 2-level attentuator switch INSIDE the battery compartment. 0db, 10dB, 20dB of attentuation, switchable.

For some reason Rode haven't (last time i checked) put this in their manual.

I would have maybe 10dB engaged most of the time. Videomic is a hot mic.
For sure on camera either 10db or 20db.

Check inside the battery compartment....

Yossi Margolin March 13th, 2007 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu Holmes (Post 641194)
By the way Ron (and everyone) the latest Rode Videomics have an (undocumented...) 2-level attentuator switch INSIDE the battery compartment. 0db, 10dB, 20dB of attentuation, switchable.

For some reason Rode haven't (last time i checked) put this in their manual.

I would have maybe 10dB engaged most of the time. Videomic is a hot mic.
For sure on camera either 10db or 20db.

Check inside the battery compartment....

Could it be a feature that only newer Videomics have? I bought mine about a year and a half ago, and I can't find the attenuator switch.

Allan Black March 14th, 2007 12:12 AM

Correct, it's a revision to cope with the VMs hot output. The pads are inside the battery compartment as a kinda set and forget item plus it's the only place available on the mic. without a major redesign.

The Rode Videomic is now the world's biggest selling mic of its type.

Ron Anderson March 14th, 2007 12:58 AM

Unfortunately looks like I got old stock even though I just bought the mic. I don't see a 2-level attentuator switch inside. I really appreciate all your responses and it looks like I will just have to make do until I can get a good wireless system. I am creating a wedding highlight video this weekend to show at the reception, at least for this I can overlay music and all will be fine.
Thanks again.

Ron

Cliff Etzel March 15th, 2007 11:27 AM

I own a Rode VideoMic and have not only used it on camera, but am now in the process of looking to get a boom pole for it. In addition, I have used it to record audio narration in a portable sound booth with my laptop and it has worked quite well. I put the dead cat on it to help with sound quality and with some audio cleanup in Adobe Audition, the end results have been quite good.

I work as a one man production outfit so weight and quality are important to me since I'm doing all the work. I highly recommend it - it does pick up every little sound it seems, but for the money, it can't be beat in my opinion.

Allan Black March 15th, 2007 03:49 PM

Hi Cliff, Rode offer a good boom pole. What portable sound booth do you have? Did you make it or buy it? Thx.

Cliff Etzel March 15th, 2007 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allan Black (Post 642339)
Hi Cliff, Rode offer a good boom pole. What portable sound booth do you have? Did you make it or buy it? Thx.

I built my own portable sound booth out of wood and foam padding - made it big enough to put a small light in to read paper copy by - it isn't perfect, but it gets the job done.

I am looking at the Rode boom pole actually - wanted the cavision version but can't find it here in the states - Adorama seems to be the only ones carrying the cavision boom pole I want (model SGP315) and is out of stock currently with no date as to when they will be back in stock. Will probably just the the Rode boom even though it is about twice as heavy (Cavision boom is made from Glass composite as opposed to the Rode which is Aluminum)

Stu Holmes March 16th, 2007 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliff Etzel (Post 642352)
Will probably just the the Rode boom even though it is about twice as heavy

Rode now also do a Mini-boompole which is short (about 5-6feet) and lighter.

Cliff Etzel March 16th, 2007 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu Holmes (Post 642865)
Rode now also do a Mini-boompole which is short (about 5-6feet) and lighter.

Do you have a resource of where I can get it???

Bob Howard March 18th, 2007 04:22 PM

Videomic attenuation ... thanx

Without this thread I probably would have never noticed the 0, 10, 20 db switch in the battery compartment. Many thanks. Yes, mine has it.

Bob Thieda March 19th, 2007 05:45 PM

Me to Bob!
My Rode just arrived today and if I hadn't read this, I probably would have missed it.
Man those are tiny switches...

Bob T.

Guy Cochran March 23rd, 2007 12:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a quick pic of the new Videomic models with the adjustable pad.